Convert (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal

• Thread starter bjon-07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation is about converting (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal using toluenesulfonyl chloride tosyl chloride (tsCL) as a replacement leaving group. The speaker is able to perform this type of reaction with a different nucleophile, resulting in (R)-2-butyl tosylate. To convert the tosyl group into a hydroxyl group, the speaker suggests using a protic acid or NaOH. The reason why SN2 reactions invert the configuration is explained using the analogy of Walden's inversion in the textbook.
bjon-07
Please Help!

How do I convert (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal using toluenesulfonyl chloride tosyl chloride (tsCL) as a replacment leaving group sense -OH is such a poor leaving group.

I can normal preform this kind of reaction, if the nuclelophil is different than the orginal leaving group. I got to the point where i have (R)-2-butyl tosylate.

The leaving is TsO- I want to convert this into HO-. How should I do this? Should I add an protic acid, or Na OH.

BTW why do SN2 reaction invert the configuration. I am having a hard time visualling why they invert configuration.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
See Walden's inversion in your textbook, this is the solution. SN2 types of reactions involve configuration change, since first ion hits the center of the second, and configuration changes. We usually give the example of upside-down umbrella to better realize in your minds. An umbrella goes upside down when a strong wind appears. SN2 reactions are similar to this analogy.

[tex]Tos-Cl + R-OH \longrightarrow Tos-OH + R-Cl[/tex]
[tex]R-Cl + NaOH \xrightarrow{heat, phase~transfer~catalyst} R-OH + NaCl[/tex]

To convert (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal, you can use a substitution reaction with toluenesulfonyl chloride (TsCl) as a replacement leaving group. This will convert the -OH group into a better leaving group, allowing the substitution reaction to occur.

To perform this reaction, you will need to first convert (r)-2-butonal into (r)-2-butyl tosylate, which you have already done. Then, to convert the tosylate group into the -OH group, you can use a basic hydrolysis reaction. This can be achieved by adding a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH), to the reaction mixture. The base will deprotonate the tosylate group, forming the -OH group and toluenesulfonate (TsO-) as a byproduct.

The reason why SN2 reactions result in inversion of configuration is due to the mechanism of the reaction. In an SN2 reaction, the nucleophile attacks the carbon atom from the opposite side of the leaving group, causing the configuration to invert. This can be better visualized by looking at the transition state of the reaction, where the nucleophile and the leaving group are in a "back-to-back" arrangement. As a result, the nucleophile attacks the carbon atom from the opposite side, leading to inversion of configuration.

Related to Convert (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal

1. What is the difference between (r)-2-butonal and (s)-s-butonal?

(r)-2-butonal and (s)-s-butonal are stereoisomers, which means they have the same chemical formula but differ in the arrangement of their atoms in space. (r)-2-butonal and (s)-s-butonal are mirror images of each other, similar to how our left and right hands are mirror images of each other.

2. How can (r)-2-butonal be converted to (s)-s-butonal?

The conversion of (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal involves a chemical process called stereoinversion. This can be achieved by using a chiral catalyst, which selectively reacts with (r)-2-butonal to produce (s)-s-butonal.

3. Why is it important to convert (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal?

In many industries, such as the pharmaceutical and fragrance industries, stereoisomers can have different properties and effects. By converting (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal, we can create a specific stereoisomer that may have a desired effect or function.

4. What are the applications of (s)-s-butonal?

(s)-s-butonal is commonly used in the production of chemicals, fragrances, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used as a chiral building block in organic synthesis, where the specific arrangement of atoms is important for creating desired compounds.

5. Is the conversion of (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal reversible?

Yes, the conversion of (r)-2-butonal to (s)-s-butonal is reversible, meaning (s)-s-butonal can also be converted back to (r)-2-butonal using a similar chemical process. This is known as stereoreversion.