Convert Radians to Seconds - Solve f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ)

In summary: N/AThe Attempt at a SolutionWhat I'm not understanding is that generally a function sin(ωt + θ) describes what happens when the angle t changes. However the question gives t in seconds.I'm pretty sure it is as simple as substituting 5 in for t but I'm not certain.My assumption is that knowing the frequency (ω/2∏ - I think!) allows you to know how many cycles occur in 1 second.So the frequency x t (5 x ω/2∏) gives you number of waves in 5 seconds - converting this to an angle by multiplying by 2∏ again leaves you with
fonz

Homework Statement

Given an equation such as f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ)

find the value of f(t) when t=5s

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm not understanding is that generally a function sin(ωt + θ) describes what happens when the angle t changes. However the question gives t in seconds.

I'm pretty sure it is as simple as substituing 5 in for t but I'm not certain.

My assumption is that knowing the frequency (ω/2∏ - I think!) allows you to know how many cycles occur in 1 second.

So the frequency x t (5 x ω/2∏) gives you number of waves in 5 seconds - converting this to an angle by multiplying by 2∏ again leaves you with 5ω (ωt).

Therefore seconds = radians?

Can somebody confirm? Also - is my expression for frequency correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
fonz said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

What I'm not understanding is that generally a function sin(ωt + θ) describes what happens when the angle t changes. However the question gives t in seconds.

My assumption is that knowing the frequency (ω/2∏ - I think!) allows you to know how many cycles occur in 1 second.

So the frequency x t (5 x ω/2∏) gives you number of waves in 5 seconds - converting this to an angle by multiplying by 2∏ again leaves you with 5ω (ωt).

Can somebody confirm? Also - is my expression for frequency correct?

You are mixing up angles and angular rates. The parameter ω has units of radians per second ant time t is in seconds, so ωt is in radians.

fonz said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

The units on ##\omega## would be radians/second; it's the angular velocity. Multiply by t seconds and you get ##\omega t## in radians, add that to ##\theta## in radians and the units of the argument are radians. Then take the sine of it. :smile:

LCKurtz said:
The units on ##\omega## would be radians/second; it's the angular velocity. Multiply by t seconds and you get ##\omega t## in radians, add that to ##\theta## in radians and the units of the argument are radians. Then take the sine of it. :smile:

Ray Vickson said:
You are mixing up angles and angular rates. The parameter ω has units of radians per second ant time t is in seconds, so ωt is in radians.

Nooo - sorry I should have seen this coming...

I chose ω arbitrarily to represent an angle. Yes I know ω is angular velocity usually but think of it as just an angle in radians (I should have picked a less confusing symbol)

In any case it being the angular velocity wouldn't make any sense in what I had explained previously. I am simply asking if my assumption regarding the frequency and time is correct?

I.e. is substituing 5 in for t going to give me the right answer!

In your expression sin(ωt + θ), both θ and ωt are angles, typically in radians, so ωt + θ also represents an angle.

Assuming you are measuring angles in radians, the only way that ωt can represent an angle when t is time is for ω to represent radians/time.

Mark44 said:
In your expression sin(ωt + θ), both θ and ωt are angles, typically in radians, so ωt + θ also represents an angle.

Assuming you are measuring angles in radians, the only way that ωt can represent an angle when t is time is for ω to represent radians/time.

I see what you are saying - this is a question for a course in electrical engineering. So presumably in the general case for sine wave signals the coefficient of t is always the angular velocity of the wave?

So would the following statements be correct:

For the function Rsin(40∏t + ∏)

the frequency is 40∏/2∏ = 20Hz

and the period would be 2∏/40∏ = 0.05

hey there, fonz! :cool:
fonz said:

what's inside a sin (or cos or log or exp) must be an ordinary number

(a radian is an ordinary number)

sooo, if you have a time inside a sin (or log etc), it must be multiplied by a 1/time (or radian/time) :wink:

Right sussed that then.

Thanks for all your help and contributions

1. What is the formula for converting radians to seconds in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ)?

The formula for converting radians to seconds in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ) is t = θ/ω, where t is time in seconds, θ is the angle in radians, and ω is the angular frequency in radians per second.

2. How do you determine the value of R in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ)?

The value of R in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ) can be determined by measuring the amplitude of the function, which is the distance from the center to the highest point of the graph. This value represents the maximum displacement or height of the function and is equal to R.

3. Can the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ) be solved without knowing the value of θ?

Yes, the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ) can still be solved without knowing the value of θ. However, the resulting solution will be in terms of θ, and the specific value of θ will need to be known in order to obtain a numerical answer.

4. How does the angular frequency, ω, affect the conversion from radians to seconds in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ)?

The angular frequency, ω, determines how quickly the function oscillates or repeats itself. A higher ω will result in a shorter period of time for the function to complete one full cycle, therefore resulting in a shorter conversion from radians to seconds.

5. Can the conversion from radians to seconds in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ) be applied to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the conversion from radians to seconds in the equation f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ) can also be applied to other trigonometric functions such as cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent. The only difference would be the specific formula used for each function.