Position of particle in inertial reference frame

In summary, the position of a participle in a fixed inertial frame of reference can be represented by the vector equation r = i(x0 + Rcos(Ωt)) +j(Rsin(Ωt)), where x0, R, and Ω are constants. By transforming to a non-inertial reference frame, it can be shown that the particle moves in a circle with constant speed. This can also be proven by rewriting the given equation as a circle at the origin and using polar coordinates. The last step is not necessary.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

The position of a participle in a fixed inertial frame of reference is given by the vector

r = i(x0 + Rcos(Ωt)) +j(Rsin(Ωt))where x0, R and Ω are constants.

a) Show that the particle moves in a circle with constant speed

Homework Equations

F = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

r = r'

where r' is the non-inertial reference frame

dr/dt = i(-RΩsin(Ωt)) + j(RΩcos(Ωt))

I can transform it to a non-inertial reference frame v' using

v = v' + (ω × r')

but since r = r' then

v = v' + (ω × r')

But I'm not sure where that leads me

I also had another thought where if the curl of the velocity in the inertial frame is non-zero does that prove the object is moving in a circular motion? Since the curl is a circulation density.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the equation for a circle at the origin. Then, if you rewrite the given equation as:
##\vec {r} = x_0\vec {i} + R\cos (Ωt)\vec {i} + R\sin (Ωt)\vec {j}##
does that help? Hint: this is not a physics question. Just math.

AM

Likes gneill
Andrew Mason said:
Write the equation for a circle at the origin. Then, if you rewrite the given equation as:
##\vec {r} = x_0\vec {i} + R\cos (Ωt)\vec {i} + R\sin (Ωt)\vec {j}##
does that help? Hint: this is not a physics question. Just math.

AM

sorry, do you mean a circle centered at the origin? if that's what you mean then

x2 + y2 = R2where x(t) = Rcos(Ωt) and y(t) = Rsin(Ωt) in polar coordinates

then

##\vec {r} = x_0\vec {i} + R\cos (Ωt)\vec {i} + R\sin (Ωt)\vec {j} = x_0\vec{i} + x(t)\vec{i} + y(t)\vec{j}##

or is the last step not needed

Never mind I figured it out.

Thanks for the hint!

1. How is the position of a particle defined in an inertial reference frame?

The position of a particle in an inertial reference frame is defined as its location relative to a fixed point in space, typically the origin of the reference frame. This can be represented by a set of coordinates, such as Cartesian coordinates, that specify the particle's distance and direction from the origin.

2. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system that is not experiencing any acceleration and is therefore considered to be at rest or in a state of constant motion. This allows for the observation of physical phenomena without any external forces affecting the measurements.

3. How does the position of a particle in an inertial reference frame change with time?

In an inertial reference frame, the position of a particle can change over time due to its own motion or the influence of external forces. This change in position can be described by the particle's velocity and acceleration, which are also relative to the inertial reference frame.

4. Can the position of a particle in an inertial reference frame be negative?

Yes, the position of a particle in an inertial reference frame can be negative if it is measured relative to the origin of the reference frame. This simply means that the particle is located in the opposite direction of the positive axis of the coordinate system.

5. How does the position of a particle in an inertial reference frame relate to its position in a non-inertial reference frame?

The position of a particle in a non-inertial reference frame will appear to change even if the particle is not experiencing any external forces. This is due to the fact that the non-inertial reference frame is also experiencing acceleration. However, the position of the particle in the inertial reference frame will remain constant, as it is not affected by the acceleration of the non-inertial reference frame.