Converting a galvanometer to ammeter and voltmeter.

In summary: This is easy to do if you know Ohm's law and understand that voltage is proportional to the current (I=V/I). Just make sure that the voltmeter probes are as far apart as possible without touching each other. (c) Conversion from Ammeter to Voltmeter---------------This is also very easy. All you need is a ratio between the ranges of the Ammeter and Voltmeter. In this case, the Voltmeter has a range from 0 to 18V, while the Ammeter has a range from o to 6A. So all you have to do is find out the value of the resistor required so that the Voltmeter will give you the same readings as the Am
a.gracias
How will you convert a galvanometer of resistance 12 ohms showing full scale deflection for a current of 3 milli ampere to
(i) Ammeter of range o to 6 Ampere
(ii) Voltmeter of range 0 to 18V.

Physics news on Phys.org
a.gracias said:
How will you convert a galvanometer of resistance 12 ohms showing full scale deflection for a current of 3 milli ampere to
(i) Ammeter of range o to 6 Ampere
(ii) Voltmeter of range 0 to 18V.
Please follow the posting template -- it's there for a reason.

We don't do your homework for you here (it's against forum rules); You must show some attempt to solve the problem so that we can see how to help you to solve it yourself.

gneill said:
Please follow the posting template -- it's there for a reason.

We don't do your homework for you here (it's against forum rules); You must show some attempt to solve the problem so that we can see how to help you to solve it yourself.

But I don't know how to crack this question.
Any help will be appreciated
Pls help, I plead.

What other electrical quantity is known as far as the galvanometer goes when it is at full deflection?

Well, this is a very easy question, and you should really try to solve it for yourself. You don't learn much from just copying our answers here. Just some hints for the solution:

(a) Ammeter
---------------

You want to measure the current by plugging the Ammeter in the circuit of which you want to measure the current such that you disturb this current as little as possible. That means, in your extension of the available range you should plug in resistors in addition to the galvanometer such that the resistance of the so obtained ammeter is as small as possible (it's good to think about the question, why this must be so). So think, how you can achieve this and then calculate the value of the needed resistor.

(b) Voltmeter
---------------

Same arguments as for the Ammeter. Only now you must aim at an as high resistance of your voltmeter as possible (think again, why!).

Hint for part 1): Clearly if the meter reads full scale at 3mA you can't send 6A through it. So you need to design a circuit that fits between the two meter probes (lets call them A and B) so that when 6A is flowing between A and B only 3mA of it is going through the meter, the rest is taking another path between A and B.

1. How do I convert a galvanometer into an ammeter and voltmeter?

To convert a galvanometer into an ammeter, you need to place a shunt resistor in parallel with the galvanometer. The value of the shunt resistor should be chosen according to the desired range of the ammeter. To convert a galvanometer into a voltmeter, you need to place a series resistor in line with the galvanometer. The value of the series resistor should be chosen according to the desired range of the voltmeter.

2. What is the purpose of converting a galvanometer into an ammeter and voltmeter?

Converting a galvanometer into an ammeter and voltmeter allows you to measure current and voltage in a circuit, respectively. This is useful for conducting experiments and analyzing the behavior of electrical systems.

3. Can any galvanometer be converted into an ammeter and voltmeter?

Yes, most galvanometers can be converted into an ammeter and voltmeter. However, it is important to ensure that the galvanometer has a linear scale and a low resistance so that it can accurately measure current and voltage.

4. What are some factors to consider when converting a galvanometer into an ammeter and voltmeter?

Some important factors to consider include the sensitivity and range of the galvanometer, the desired range of the ammeter and voltmeter, and the accuracy of the measurements. It is also important to use the appropriate shunt and series resistors to ensure accurate readings.

5. Can a galvanometer be converted back to its original form after being used as an ammeter or voltmeter?

Yes, a galvanometer can be converted back to its original form by removing the shunt or series resistor that was added to convert it into an ammeter or voltmeter. However, it is important to note that the galvanometer may have been calibrated for its new purpose, so it may not provide accurate readings as before.