Converting a Vector Differential Equation in Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in fluid mechanics involving a three-dimensional vector differential equation, where a, b, and c are unknown scalar functions and f is a known vector function. The conversation suggests using a pairwise subtraction method to solve for a, and then dividing by a and taking the curl to arrive at equations for b and c. Further suggestions are made to form the inner product and solve for a alone.
Gribouille
Hi guys,
I have encountered a problem in fluid mechanics that gives a three-dimensional vector differential equation
\begin{equation}
a \vec{f} + \nabla{a} + b \nabla{c} = \vec{0}
\end{equation}
where a, b, and c are unknown scalar functions of three-dimensional space and f is a known vector function of space. Do you have any ideas how to convert this into an equation for a (or b or c) alone or even solve it?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have three separate scalar equations
[tex] a f_x + \nabla a + b \nabla c = 0 ; a f_y + \nabla a + b \nabla c = 0 ; a f_z + \nabla a + b \nabla c = 0 [/tex]
If you subtract them pairwise, you get:
[tex] a(f_x - f_y) = 0 ; a(f_x - f_z) = 0 ; a(f_y - f_z) = 0[/tex]
Unless f is a very special vector field (where fx = fy = fz everywhere), this seems to imply that a = 0. If a = 0, then your original equation becomes [itex] b \nabla c = 0[/itex], which of course has solutions independent of f, but probably isn't what you want.

Likes Gribouille
Thanks for your reply, I highly appreciate it. The equations would read
\begin{eqnarray}
a f_x + \partial_x a + b \partial_x c &=& 0 \\
a f_y + \partial_y a + b \partial_y c &=& 0 \\
a f_z + \partial_z a + b \partial_z c &=& 0
\end{eqnarray}
since the gradient operator produces a vector.

To give you more background information, the equation I am trying to solve in its original form is
\begin{equation}
d \vec{x} \cdot (a \vec{f} + \nabla{a} + b \nabla{c}) = 0
\end{equation}

I will try to describe the progress I have made. If only x is variable and y = 0 and z = 0 are constant and zero, only the first of the three equations has to be satisfied and the differential equation becomes
\begin{equation}
a f_x + a^{\prime} = 0
\end{equation}
and b and c are constants. When x and y are variables and z is constant, b = 1 because two functions are enough to satisfy the set of equations. One can use the curl operator and arrives at
\begin{equation}
\nabla \times (a \vec{f}) = \vec{0}
\end{equation}
since the curl of the gradient is zero. This can be solved for a and c, too.

I have not managed to solve the equation when x, y, and z are variable.

Thanks for your time guys and I appreciate any kind of input.

Last edited:
Apologies for my stupid post. Let me think about it some more.

I think I found the solution. Divide by a and take the curl and you get
\begin{equation*}
\nabla \times \vec{f} + \nabla (b/a) \times \nabla c = \vec{0}
\end{equation*}
From this follows
\begin{eqnarray}
\nabla (b/a) \cdot \nabla \times \vec{f} = 0 \\
\nabla c \cdot \nabla \times \vec{f} = 0
\end{eqnarray}
Any suggestions if this approach seems correct?

Last edited:
Gribouille said:
I think I found the solution. Divide by a and take the curl and you get
\begin{equation*}
\nabla \times \vec{f} + \nabla (b/a) \times \nabla c = \vec{0}
\end{equation*}
From this follows
\begin{eqnarray}
\nabla (b/a) \cdot \nabla \times \vec{f} = 0 \\
\nabla c \cdot \nabla \times \vec{f} = 0
\end{eqnarray}
Any suggestions if this approach seems correct?

I agree with this so far. Where would you go next?

I would form the inner product of the original equation and the curl of f. That results in
\begin{equation*}
a ( \nabla \times \vec{f} ) \cdot \vec{f} + ( \nabla \times \vec{f} ) \cdot \nabla a + b ( \nabla \times \vec{f} ) \cdot \nabla c = 0
\end{equation*}
The last term on the left-hand side is zero and we have an equation of a alone.

What is a vector differential equation?

A vector differential equation is an equation that involves vectors and their derivatives with respect to one or more variables. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in space.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector differential equation?

A scalar differential equation involves only scalar quantities, while a vector differential equation involves both scalar and vector quantities. In a scalar differential equation, the unknown function is a scalar value, while in a vector differential equation, the unknown function is a vector.

What are the applications of vector differential equations?

Vector differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and control theory. They are essential for describing the behavior of physical systems and predicting their future states.

How do you solve a vector differential equation?

The process of solving a vector differential equation depends on the specific equation and its application. In general, the first step is to rewrite the equation in a standard form and then use mathematical methods such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms to find the solution.

What are the initial and boundary conditions in a vector differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the unknown function and its derivatives at a specific initial point, while boundary conditions are the values of the unknown function at the boundaries of the system. These conditions are necessary for finding a unique solution to a vector differential equation.