Converting an Equation to Neutral Form

In summary, the conversation discusses converting an ionic equation into neutral form using calcium as a counterion for all anions. The resulting balanced equation is shown, with the only discrepancy being the number of hydroxides, which is later corrected.
1question

Homework Statement

Hi. I have convert the following equation (which is in ionic form) into neutral form:
4S2O32-+O2+2H2O=2S4O62-+4OH-

The question tells me to use calcium as a counterion for all anions.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically just added calcium to the anions above, resulting in:
4CaS2O3+O2+2H2O=2CaS4O6+4Ca(OH)2

Unfortunately, when I do a check, the coefficients of each element/compound do not match. Trying to balance it doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
1question said:
4CaS2O3+O2+2H2O=2CaS4O6+4Ca(OH)2

Looks balanced to me. Can you show where the mismatch is?

Turns out that it's 2Ca(OH)2. It seems obvious in hindsight haha. The number of hydroxides must remain the same as in the ionic form after all.

Sorry, I am blind. Sigh.

Haha, don't worry about it. I stared at it for a good 15 minutes before I figured it out.

Related to Converting an Equation to Neutral Form

1. What is the purpose of converting an equation to neutral form?

Converting an equation to neutral form helps to eliminate bias or emotional language, making it easier to analyze and interpret. It also allows for a more objective and precise representation of the relationship between variables.

2. How do you convert an equation to neutral form?

To convert an equation to neutral form, you need to remove any language that implies a cause-and-effect relationship, such as "causes," "leads to," or "results in." Replace these words with neutral phrases like "is associated with" or "is related to." Additionally, avoid using any emotionally charged words or phrases.

3. Can you provide an example of converting an equation to neutral form?

Sure, for example, the equation "Stress causes an increase in heart rate" can be converted to neutral form as "Stress is associated with an increase in heart rate."

4. Why is it important to use neutral language in scientific equations?

Using neutral language in scientific equations is important because it helps to avoid making assumptions or drawing conclusions that may not be supported by evidence. It also allows for more accurate and objective analysis of the data.

5. Are there any exceptions to converting an equation to neutral form?

In some cases, it may be necessary to use language that implies causation in scientific equations. This is typically done when there is strong evidence to support a cause-and-effect relationship. However, it is important to use caution when doing so and to clearly state any limitations or uncertainties in the data.