Dilution v.s Neutralization Problem

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different techniques in solving two different problems involving the neutralization of acids. The first problem requires the use of the stoichiometric method, while the second problem can be solved using the formula M1V1 = M2V2. The conversation also mentions the confusion and misleading nature of using the M1V1 = M2V2 formula, and emphasizes the importance of using stoichiometry for titration problems. The formula can only be used for dilutions when the concentration of the same substance is present on both sides of the equation.
Lori

Homework Statement

So, i have two different problems, and I'm not sure why the technique for solving them is different! They look the same! My main problem is whether i should us M1V1 = M2V2 to solve for volume or to use stoic by using a balanced chemical equation...

the first problem is : What volume of 2.50 M HNO3 is needed to completely neutralize 34.6 ml of 1.22 M Ba(OH)2. [/B]
In this case, i used the stoic method to solve for the volume which got my the correct answer of : 33.9 ml. What i did was just convert Ba(OH)2 to the mols and use mole ratio to find vols of HNO3 and converted it to liters... However, using M1V1 = M1V2 does not work in this case.

the second problem is : 10.0g of Ca(OH)2 was added to enough water to make 435 ml Of solution. what volume of this solution should be added to 45 ml of 0.867 M sulfuric acid solution to completely neutralize the acid.?

In this problem, i used the M1V1 = M2V2 which yielded the correct answer! It was fast and simple since all i needed to do was plug into the formula. I didn't need a chemically balanced equation

Homework Equations

M1V1 = M2V2
M = mols/1 liter

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of an obvious chemical difference between HNO3 and H2SO4? (Hint: was your answer out by a factor of 2? If not, I am on the wrong track.)

mjc123 said:
Can you think of an obvious chemical difference between HNO3 and H2SO4? (Hint: was your answer out by a factor of 2? If not, I am on the wrong track.)
There aee 2 mols of H in the second acid right.
Is it because in the first problem, the mols of acid is not equal mols of base OH? So I'd have to use the stoic method?

Lori said:
My main problem is whether i should us M1V1 = M2V2 to solve for volume or to use stoic by using a balanced chemical equation...

Stoichiometry works always.

The formula you listed works only for reagents reacting 1:1. I hate it when people teach it as an approach to the titration problems, it is confusing and misguiding, you have just failed into this trap. Forget you ever saw the M1V1 = M2V2 formula, use stoichiometry and you won't ever have problems with any titration question.

Borek said:
Stoichiometry works always.

The formula you listed works only for reagents reacting 1:1. I hate it when people teach it as an approach to the titration problems, it is confusing and misguiding, you have just failed into this trap. Forget you ever saw the M1V1 = M2V2 formula, use stoichiometry and you won't ever have problems with any titration question.
I'm kinda aware of this but like I find it easier. So when can I use this formula? For dilutions right? Where m1v1 is initial and m1v2 is final

Lori said:
I'm kinda aware of this but like I find it easier. So when can I use this formula? For dilutions right? Where m1v1 is initial and m1v2 is final

Despite looking the same it is not the same formula. For dilutions you have concentration of the same substance on both sides of the equation.

Borek said:
Despite looking the same it is not the same formula. For dilutions you have concentration of the same substance on both sides of the equation.
Oh true. Totally forgot about it . That makes sense. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between dilution and neutralization in a scientific experiment?

Dilution is the process of reducing the concentration of a substance by adding additional solvent. Neutralization, on the other hand, is the chemical reaction between an acid and a base to form a neutral solution.

2. How do you know whether a problem in a lab requires dilution or neutralization?

The decision to use dilution or neutralization in a lab depends on the objective of the experiment. If the goal is to reduce the concentration of a solution, dilution is the appropriate method. If the objective is to neutralize a solution, then neutralization should be used.

3. What are some common examples of when dilution and neutralization are used in scientific experiments?

Dilution is often used in experiments where precise concentrations of a solution are needed, such as in titrations. Neutralization is commonly used in experiments involving acids and bases, such as in the production of salts or to neutralize the pH of a solution.

4. Can dilution and neutralization be used interchangeably in experiments?

No, dilution and neutralization are two distinct processes that serve different purposes in a lab. While dilution reduces the concentration of a solution, neutralization chemically changes the properties of a solution.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing dilution or neutralization in a lab?

Yes, it is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling potentially hazardous chemicals. It is also crucial to carefully follow the instructions and protocols for dilution and neutralization to avoid accidents or unintended reactions.