Converting between arcseconds and radians

• MHB
  • Thread starter viawilli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radians
In summary, to convert 0.05 arcseconds into radians, you can use the formula \theta''=\frac{\pi}{648000}\theta\text{ rad} where \theta is the given angle in arcseconds. Another method is to use convertin, an online unit converter tool.
viawilli
Hi i need to convert 0.05 arcseconds into radians and am not sure where to start any help is appreciated. thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could use:

\(\displaystyle \theta''=\theta''\cdot\frac{1'}{60''}\cdot\frac{1^{\circ}}{60'}\cdot\frac{\pi\text{ rad}}{180^{\circ}}=\frac{\pi}{648000}\theta\text{ rad}\)

Do you see how I used the fact that there are 60 arc seconds per 1 arc minute, 60 arc minutes per degree and 180 degrees per $\pi$ radians to construct 3 fractions all equal to 1 which I then multiplied with the original angle $\theta$, given in arc seconds, to obtain a conversion factor of \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{648000}\)?

You convert arcseconds and radians by using the specific formula. Like
0.05 arcseconds=2.42406841 × 10-7 radians.
The above is one method to convert, another method is you can also use convertin, which is used to convert the units online. By this you can quickly perform the conversion problems.

1. What is an arcsecond and how is it different from a radian?

An arcsecond is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to measure angles, and is equal to 1/3600 of a degree. A radian is a unit of measurement used in mathematics to measure angles, and is equal to the angle subtended at the center of a circle by an arc that is equal in length to the radius of the circle.

2. How do I convert between arcseconds and radians?

To convert from arcseconds to radians, you can use the formula: radians = arcseconds * (π/180) * (1/3600). To convert from radians to arcseconds, you can use the formula: arcseconds = radians * (180/π) * (3600/1).

3. Why do we use radians instead of other units of measurement for angles?

Radians are a more natural unit of measurement for angles because they are based on the properties of circles and are independent of the size of the circle. This makes them more useful in mathematical calculations and in describing the behavior of waves and oscillations.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert between arcseconds and radians?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in function for converting between different units of measurement, including arcseconds and radians. You can also use online conversion tools or manually perform the calculations using the formulas mentioned above.

5. Is it necessary to convert between arcseconds and radians in everyday life?

No, converting between arcseconds and radians is mostly used in scientific and mathematical contexts, particularly in astronomy, physics, and engineering. In everyday life, angles are usually measured in degrees or in more practical units such as hours, minutes, and seconds.