Converting Calories to Joules: Uncovering the Correct Conversion Formula

In summary, there is a discussion about converting 2000 kcal to joules. One person suggests using 1 calorie = 4.2 J, but the other person corrects them by stating that 1 cal = 4.2 J to one decimal place. The first person then mentions the specific heat of water and how it can affect the conversion, but the second person clarifies that the specific heat per kilogram should be used instead of per gram. Finally, the first person thanks the other for the explanation.
Quarlep
Lets suppose we have 2000 kcal and we want to translate it joule.
1 calorie is 4,2 J/gC isn't it so I think it will be 8400000 g m^2/s^2 But my teacher says its 8400000 kg m^2/s^2
Which one is true
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: Here (4,2 J/gC) J is joule g is grams and C is celcius

Quarlep said:
1 calorie is 4,2 J/gC isn't it

No, 1 cal = 4.2 J (to one decimal place).

You're thinking of the specific heat of water, which is 4.2 J/(g·°C) = 1 cal/(g·°C).

Then let me clear Q=mcT and W=mgh so If we takes m we get Q/cT=W/gh If we write the unit form cal cal^-1 g C^-1 C we get g which it grams
and the other side kg m^2 s^-2 s^2 m^-1 m^-1 then we get kg.It does not match.and I think its a problem

You're getting grams for the m from the first equation because you're using the specific heat per gram. Use the specific heat per kilogram instead: 4200 J/(kg·°C).

Thanks I understan it

1. What is the formula for converting calories to joules?

The conversion formula for calories to joules is 1 calorie = 4.184 joules.

2. Why do we need to convert calories to joules?

Converting between these two units is necessary because calories are commonly used to measure the energy content of food, while joules are the standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can the conversion factor be different for different substances?

Yes, the conversion factor for calories to joules may vary slightly depending on the substance being measured. This is because the calorie is defined as the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius, whereas the joule is defined as the amount of energy required to apply a force of 1 newton through a distance of 1 meter.

4. How do I convert a given number of calories to joules?

To convert calories to joules, simply multiply the number of calories by the conversion factor of 4.184. For example, if you have 100 calories, the conversion would be 100 x 4.184 = 418.4 joules.

5. Is there an easier way to convert between calories and joules?

Yes, there are many online conversion calculators and apps that can quickly and accurately convert between calories and joules for you. These tools can also convert between other units of energy, making it easier to work with different systems of measurement.