Converting Coulombs to Joules Without Voltage

In summary, This is a forum for discussing physics and math concepts, not for asking questions about specific badges.
Ankhen
Hi
Is it possible to convert coulomb to joule without knowing volt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ankhen said:
Hi
I think you're asking at the wrong forum!
Coulomb (C, AND THIS IS NOT THE SPEED OF LIGHT! :smile:) Is how many currents/Ampere travels for 1 second.
Coulomb = Ampere * Sec; Sec = Coulomb/Ampere
Joule = Watt * Sec
So
Joule = Watt * Coulomb / Ampere.
Only if you know the power (W) and the current (A)
But, then again.
Volt = Wat / Ampere, so we're back to
Joule = Volt * Coulomb

Ankhen said:
Hi
They are completely different quantities. That's like asking "is it possible to convert number of apples to meters without knowing the time of day?" - the answer is no, that does not make sense.

mfb said:
They are completely different quantities. That's like asking "is it possible to convert number of apples to meters without knowing the time of day?" - the answer is no, that does not make sense.
Ahhh, you're right! I'm trapped by this question.
Perhaps this is true?
Is it possible to convert miles to KM?
Is it possible to convert joule to erg?
Is it possible to convert Litre to cc?
Something like that?
[Add: Calories to joules]

Stephanus said:
I think you're asking at the wrong forum!
And, before you know it, it's been moved to the correct forum.

To expand on Stephanus's post this is a nice diagram of the relationships:
8weELeS.jpg

Likes Stephanus
Borg said:
And, before you know it, it's been moved to the correct forum.

To expand on Stephanus's post this is a nice diagram of the relationships:
Good picture. Very informative. Thanks.
And for you to know (look at mfb's answer). I reply the wrong answer to the wrong question (at the wrong forum :smile:)

Stephanus said:
Ahhh, you're right! I'm trapped by this question.
Perhaps this is true?
Is it possible to convert miles to KM?
Is it possible to convert joule to erg?
Is it possible to convert Litre to cc?
Something like that?
[Add: Calories to joules]
Sure.

(I moved the thread, by the way)

mfb said:
Ahh, you're the one.
Can I ask. I'm given the "First to answer" Badge. But I think my answer is wrong. I misunderstood the question. Can we have badge for wrong answer?

mfb said:
Stephanus said:
Ahh, you're the one.
And I reported it. :oldbiggrin:

And we just chat each other without the OP responds to our answer??
Or perhaps the op still watches Relativity sub forum to find his post :oldlaugh:

1. How do I convert Coulombs to Joules without knowing the voltage?

To convert Coulombs to Joules without voltage, you will need to use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in Coulombs and C is the capacitance in Farads. If you don't know the voltage, you can rearrange the formula to solve for Q and then use the formula for calculating energy, E = 1/2QV, to find the energy in Joules.

2. Can I still convert Coulombs to Joules without voltage if I only have the capacitance?

Yes, you can still convert Coulombs to Joules without voltage if you only have the capacitance. You will need to use the formula E = 1/2QV and solve for Q using the formula Q = CV, where C is the capacitance in Farads. Once you have the value for Q, you can plug it back into the formula for energy to find the energy in Joules.

3. What is the relationship between Coulombs and Joules?

Coulombs and Joules are both units of measurement for different physical quantities. Coulombs are used to measure electric charge, while Joules are used to measure energy. In the context of converting Coulombs to Joules without voltage, the two units are related through the formula E = 1/2QV, where E is the energy in Joules, Q is the charge in Coulombs, and V is the voltage in volts.

4. Why is voltage not needed when converting Coulombs to Joules?

Voltage is not needed when converting Coulombs to Joules because the relationship between the two can be expressed through the formula E = 1/2QV. If you don't know the voltage, you can rearrange the formula to solve for Q, and then use the formula for energy to find the value in Joules. This is because voltage is just one of the factors in the formula for energy, and by rearranging the formula, you can eliminate the need for it.

5. Can I use this method to convert Coulombs to Joules for any type of electric system?

Yes, this method can be used to convert Coulombs to Joules for any type of electric system as long as you have the necessary information, such as the charge (Q) and capacitance (C). The formula E = 1/2QV is a universal formula for calculating energy in electric systems, and it can be used in various scenarios, including converting Coulombs to Joules without voltage.