Converting density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units

In summary: It is about making the units of the two quantities equal to each other, and that’s all you are doing when you use 197 MeV fm = 1. So I don’t see the point of your comment.
Safinaz
TL;DR Summary
Converting density unit ##MeV^4## to ##kg/m^3##
How to transform density unit in natural units $MeV^4$ to SI units $kg/m^3$,

Here's my trial:

##MeV^4 = (10^6)^4 ~ eV^4 = 10^{24} ~ eV^4 ##,

## eV = 1.6 * 10^{-19}~ kg~ m^2 / sec^2, ##

##MeV^4 = 10^{24} ~ 1.6^4 * 10^{-40} ~ kg^4 m^8 / sec^8 ##

This is not simply ##kg/m^3##!

Any help how to make this conversion!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of my favourite limericks is applicable:

To figure the inches you’ve run,
Or to find the slug mass of the sun,
Forget your aversion
To unit conversion.
Just multiply (wisely!) by 1.

https://www.physics.harvard.edu/undergrad/limericks

eV is a unit of energy and is not really a unit of inverse length or mass unless you are using natural units where ##c = \hbar = 1##. Combine that information with the suggestions of the limerick.

Likes ohwilleke and mfb
Also, 1 eV is 1.6e-19 J, not 1.6e-10 J …

Likes ohwilleke and Safinaz
Orodruin said:
Also, 1 eV is 1.6e-19 J, not 1.6e-10 J …
Corrected in the post.

Likes ohwilleke
Orodruin said:
One of my favourite limericks is applicable:

To figure the inches you’ve run,
Or to find the slug mass of the sun,
Forget your aversion
To unit conversion.
Just multiply (wisely!) by 1.

https://www.physics.harvard.edu/undergrad/limericks

eV is a unit of energy and is not really a unit of inverse length or mass unless you are using natural units where ##c = \hbar = 1##. Combine that information with the suggestions of the limerick.
I meant conversations like here: https://www.seas.upenn.edu/~amyers/NaturalUnits.pdf

Table(1)

I guess you have an energy-density here. The dimension is ##[E][L]^{-3}##. In natural units, where ##\hbar=c=1##, the units are ##\text{MeV}^4##. All you need is that ##\hbar c \simeq 197 \text{MeV} \; \text{fm}##. To get from the natural units you need just to multiply by the appropriate powers of ##\hbar c##. In your case you have
##u =1 \; \text{MeV}^4/(\hbar c)^3.##
You'll get your answer in ##\text{MeV}/\text{fm}^3##. Then you only need the conversion factors to Joule and meters: ##1 \text{MeV}=10^6 \text{eV} \simeq 1.6 \cdot 10^{-19} \cdot 10^6 \text{J}=1.6 \cdot 10^{-13} \; \text{J}## and ##1 \; \text{fm}=10^{-15} \; \text{m}##.

If you have a mass sensity you have to divide in addition by ##c^2## with ##c \simeq 3 \cdot 10^8 \text{m}/\text{s}##.

Of course my conversion factors are just rough approximations. If you really need high precision, look up the precise values in, e.g., the "particle data booklet":

https://pdg.lbl.gov/2022/web/viewer.html?file=../reviews/rpp2022-rev-phys-constants.pdf

Likes Meir Achuz, ohwilleke and dextercioby
I prefer to say 197MeV-fm =1. Introducing hbar c is uneccessary.

Meir Achuz said:
I prefer to say 197MeV-fm =1. Introducing hbar c is uneccessary.
Introducing 197 MeV fm = 1 you just introduced ##\hbar c##, you just didn’t call it that.

Likes vanhees71

1. How do I convert density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units?

To convert density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units, you can use the formula: 1 ##MeV^4## = 1.6 x 10^-14 kg/m^3. This means that you need to multiply the density unit in ##MeV^4## by 1.6 x 10^-14 to get the equivalent value in kg/m^3.

2. Why do we need to convert density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units?

Converting density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units allows us to express energy density in a more universally recognized and standardized unit. This makes it easier for scientists to compare and communicate their findings with others in the scientific community.

3. What is the significance of using ##MeV^4## as a unit for energy density?

##MeV^4## is a unit of energy density commonly used in particle physics and nuclear physics. It is equivalent to the amount of energy produced by a particle or nucleus with a mass of 1 MeV. This unit is useful for describing the high energy densities found in these fields of study.

4. Can density unit ##MeV^4## be converted to other units besides SI units?

Yes, density unit ##MeV^4## can also be converted to other units such as ##GeV^4## or ##J/m^3##. The conversion factors for these units can be found by using the appropriate conversion factors for energy and volume units.

5. Is there a specific method for converting density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units?

Yes, the specific method for converting density unit ##MeV^4## to SI units is to use the conversion factor of 1.6 x 10^-14 kg/m^3. This method is based on the relationship between energy and mass, as well as the definition of the SI unit for density, which is kilograms per cubic meter.