Converting galactical coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates

• I
  • Thread starter Tegalad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary: Thank you very muchIt seems that I was doing it wrong. How could I change the position of Orions belt projection on Earth to the place of pyramids and then tighten it to match Giza pyramids?
Tegalad
Hello,

I am doing an astrophysics project about Orion belt constelation and the pyramids of Giza. I am interested in the myth that the three pyramids is an exact copy of Orion belt. How should I convert galactical latitude/longtitude to linear/geographical coordinates so I could compare the constellation graph to pictures of the pyramids. I just used galactical longtitude/latitude to draw a graph in Origin and then I put it on to picture, my teacher said that it could have big errors there.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tegalad said:
galactical latitude/longtitude to linear/geographical coordinates
Do you mean equatorial coordinates (right ascension and declination) to geographic (latitude and longitude)?

Bandersnatch said:
Do you mean equatorial coordinates (right ascension and declination) to geographic (latitude and longitude)?
In stellarium there are equatorial coordinates and galactical coordinates. I was using galactical coordinates. How should I convert equatorial coordinates to geographic?

In equatorial coordinates, declination corresponds* to latitude in geographic. Right ascension in terms of relative position corresponds to longitude expressed in hours, i.e. 360° is 24 hours (so 1 h is 360°/24=15°, and so on). The difference between RA and longitude is in where the 0th line is drawn (Greenwich on Earth vs vernal equinox on the celestial sphere), but as long as you're only interested in graphing relative positions of the stars and the pyramids, that should not interest you.

*in terms of a projection of one spherical surface onto the other

Likes Tegalad
Bandersnatch said:
In equatorial coordinates, declination corresponds* to latitude in geographic. Right ascension in terms of relative position corresponds to longitude expressed in hours, i.e. 360° is 24 hours (so 1 h is 360°/24=15°, and so on). The difference between RA and longitude is in where the 0th line is drawn (Greenwich on Earth vs vernal equinox on the celestial sphere), but as long as you're only interested in graphing relative positions of the stars and the pyramids, that should not interest you.

*in terms of a projection of one spherical surface onto the other
Thank you very much

It seems that I was doing it wrong. How could I change the position of Orions belt projection on Earth to the place of pyramids and then tighten it to match Giza pyramids?

What are galactic coordinates and how are they different from horizontal/geographical coordinates?

Galactic coordinates are a system used to locate objects in the Milky Way galaxy. They are measured in degrees and are based on the plane of the galaxy. Horizontal/geographical coordinates, on the other hand, are used to locate objects on the Earth's surface and are based on the Earth's equator and poles.

Why would someone need to convert galactic coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates?

Converting galactic coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates is necessary when observing objects in the Milky Way galaxy from Earth. Since the Earth rotates on its axis and is constantly moving, it is necessary to convert the coordinates to account for the Earth's rotation and position in space.

What is the process for converting galactic coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates?

The process for converting galactic coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates involves using mathematical equations and formulas. These equations take into account the Earth's rotation, tilt, and position in space to accurately convert the coordinates.

Are there any tools or resources available to assist with converting galactic coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates?

Yes, there are various online tools and software programs that can assist with converting galactic coordinates to horizontal/geographical coordinates. Some examples include the Galactic Coordinate Converter and the Milky Way Explorer app.

Can galactic coordinates be converted to any other coordinate system besides horizontal/geographical coordinates?

Yes, galactic coordinates can also be converted to equatorial coordinates, which are commonly used in astronomy. Equatorial coordinates are similar to horizontal/geographical coordinates in that they are based on the Earth's rotation and position in space, but they use a different reference point and measurement system.