Converting heat into electrical energy

In summary, the science project is to convert thermal energy into electrical energy which will run a small engine. The device will be placed in a cooking pan and the heat will be converted into electrical energy which will run the small engine. The converter might not produce a lot of electricity, but it is possible to increase the amount of electricity produced using different methods.
AdoobII
Greetings,

I have a science project to make and i have an idea but i am not so sure about it, the idea is to convert thermal energy into electrical energy which will run a small engine.

I want to put that device in a cooking pan and that heat will be converted into electrical energy which will run a small engine that will mix the liquids in the cooking pan. I did some research about converting thermal energy into electrical energy and i did understand the basics "maybe", since there are many words i didn't understand, i am still in grade 11.

This is a drawing of what i understood so far :-

https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/70/70927-c5b66fd0d41a6502db5ef1ce5ebae3f2.jpg

well, i don't know if that sketch could produce electricity, but if it does, how can i increase the amount of the electricity that this converter produce, is it by increasing the number of copper/iron wires?, and/or is it by increasing the heat?

the thing i have read is that if we connected the iron wire into different tides of a battery one will heat up and one will be cold, i don't know why, but if that was true, should i heat one iron wire only? i know that the heat would transfer and try to be equal between copper/iron wires.

my final question is, is this converter gives a fair amount of electricity, or should i give up or use another kind of converter?.

Thanks.

Attachments

• thermal energy - 1.png
    thermal energy - 1.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 557
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric#Thermoelectric_generators. Is one place to start.

It can be done and it has been done, but it is probably much more difficult than you imagine. I suspect that you have a better chance of making a self stirring pot using the water circulating currents and some kind of a propeller.I went to youtube.com and did searches for "self stirring pot", "thermoelectric generator" and "thermoelectric stirrer". All those searches returned dozens of hits.

Good luck.

Likes berkeman
thank you so much, actually i found youtube is more friendly and i have learned quite new things through it, at least that was faster than google, thank you so much for your reply :)

heat into electricity is what all coal-fired and nuclear-powered power stations do.
Functionally though, they still require a temperature Gradient. a difference between somthing Hot and Cold. I.e. a hot thing and a cold resivoir.

thermoelectrics and peltier coolers do the same thing but are solid state and much smaller scale.
you can buy a peltier cooler for $4 on amazon.
ttp://amzn.com/B002UQQ3Q2

1. How does converting heat into electrical energy work?

Converting heat into electrical energy involves the use of a device called a thermoelectric generator. This device consists of two dissimilar materials, usually semiconductors, that are connected to form a circuit. When one side of the device is exposed to heat, it creates a temperature difference between the two materials, which in turn creates an electrical potential. This potential can then be used to generate electricity.

2. What are the main applications of converting heat into electrical energy?

One of the main applications of converting heat into electrical energy is in waste heat recovery. This process involves capturing the heat produced by industrial processes or vehicle engines and converting it into electricity, which can then be used to power other processes or devices. Other applications include powering remote sensors and devices in space exploration, as well as in some renewable energy systems.

3. What are the benefits of converting heat into electrical energy?

Converting heat into electrical energy offers several benefits, including the ability to utilize waste heat that would otherwise be lost, reducing the overall energy consumption and carbon footprint of a system, and providing a reliable and sustainable source of energy. It also has the potential to improve the efficiency of industrial processes and reduce costs.

4. What are the limitations of converting heat into electrical energy?

One limitation of converting heat into electrical energy is the relatively low efficiency of thermoelectric generators. Additionally, the technology is currently limited to certain temperature ranges, making it less suitable for high-temperature applications. Another limitation is the high cost of materials and manufacturing processes, which can make it challenging to implement on a large scale.

5. What developments are being made in the field of converting heat into electrical energy?

Researchers are constantly working to improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of thermoelectric generators. This includes exploring new materials and manufacturing techniques, as well as finding ways to increase the temperature range in which they can operate. There is also ongoing research into new applications for this technology, such as in wearable devices and portable power sources.