Converting Matter to Power: Calculating Mass for 3200W of Energy for 3 Days

In summary, the conversation discusses converting mass into energy in order to provide 3200W of power for 3 days. The equations used are P=E/t and E=mc2. The attempted solution involves substituting mc2 for energy and using consistent units to calculate the mass, resulting in a final answer of 9.216X10-9kg.
Ethan_Tab

Homework Statement

What mass of mater would be converted to energy to provide 3200W of Power for 3 days?

Homework Equations

P=E/t
E=mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
E=P*t
Subbing mc2 for energy I get

mc2=P*t

m=P*t/c2

m=(3200W*3Days)/(9X1016m2/s2)

m= 1.066X10-13kg

This answer is incorrect.
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of a watt?

Have you used consistent units, or did you just throw all your numbers in a big churn and crank out a meaningless answer?

Likes Ethan_Tab
I threw all my numbers in a big churn and cranked out a meaningless answer.

3 Days= 259200s

Doing the same calculation I get 9.216X10-9kg

Thank you :)

What is matter conversion into power?

Matter conversion into power is a process in which matter is converted into usable energy. This can be achieved through various methods such as nuclear fusion, nuclear fission, or chemical reactions.

How does matter conversion into power work?

The specifics of matter conversion into power depend on the method being used. In nuclear fusion, atoms are fused together to release energy. In nuclear fission, atoms are split apart. In chemical reactions, molecules undergo a transformation to release energy.

What are the potential benefits of matter conversion into power?

Matter conversion into power has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of energy. It also produces significantly less greenhouse gas emissions and radioactive waste compared to traditional forms of energy production.

What are the potential risks of matter conversion into power?

One potential risk of matter conversion into power is the possibility of accidents or malfunctions in the process, which could lead to explosions or radiation leaks. There is also concern about the disposal of radioactive waste produced from nuclear reactions.

What is the current state of matter conversion into power technology?

Currently, matter conversion into power is primarily achieved through nuclear fission in nuclear power plants. However, research is ongoing to develop and improve other methods, such as nuclear fusion, as well as alternative and renewable energy sources.