Converting scfm to lb/hr, which density should I use?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Frankenstein19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of air flow measurements between different units and the role of density in these calculations. The participants also mention the need for standardization in units of measurement.
Frankenstein19
Homework Statement
If I convert from cfm to scfm, should I use the density of the material at standard conditions or what the conditions the material is actually at?
Relevant Equations
lb/hr = cubic feet/min * 60 min/hr * lb/cubic feet
For air for example at conditions 150 F and 125 psig, density is 0.61lb/ft3

At standard conditions it's 0.0765lb/ft3

If I convert 500 cfm to scfm, does this mean I should multiply by 0.0765lb/ft3*60min/hr to convert to lb/hr?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me what are cfm and scfm, never seen these units (I can guess, but I prefer to be sure).

To convert CFM to lb/hr, you multiply by the actual density. To convert lb/hr to scfm, you then divide by the standard density.

In general the only invariant thing in such calculations is the mass.

• Haha
Likes BillTre

1. How do I convert scfm to lb/hr?

To convert scfm (standard cubic feet per minute) to lb/hr (pounds per hour), you need to use a conversion factor based on the density of the gas or substance being measured. This conversion factor may vary depending on the specific gas or substance, so it is important to determine the correct density to use for your conversion.

2. What is the difference between scfm and lb/hr?

Scfm and lb/hr are two different units of measurement. Scfm measures the volume of a gas or substance, while lb/hr measures the weight or mass of that same gas or substance. They are related through the density of the gas or substance, which is used in the conversion between the two units.

3. How do I determine the density to use for the conversion?

The density of a gas or substance can be determined through various methods, such as using a density meter or calculating it based on the molecular weight and temperature of the gas. It is important to use the correct density for your specific gas or substance to ensure an accurate conversion from scfm to lb/hr.

4. Can I use a general conversion factor for all gases and substances?

No, a general conversion factor cannot be used for all gases and substances. Each gas or substance has its own unique density, which is why it is important to determine the specific density for your conversion. Using a general conversion factor may result in an inaccurate conversion.

5. Are there any online tools or calculators available for converting scfm to lb/hr?

Yes, there are several online tools and calculators available that can help you convert scfm to lb/hr. These tools often have a database of densities for different gases and substances, making it easier to determine the correct conversion factor for your specific needs.