Converting Text to Speech: Exploring Adobe PDF Reader's Audio Feature

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, text to speech programs can be used for a variety of purposes, including listening to stories, lectures, or notes.
mech-eng
How can we turn a text file into an audio file? What are the programs making this job are called?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
The common usage is "text to speech".

Can we change the title to "text to speech"?

Thanks.

DrClaude said:
The common usage is "text to speech".
With an acronym of TTS.

mech-eng said:
Can we change the title to "text to speech"?
Done.

There are quite a few companies with products to do this. If you do a web search for "tts software" you'll get a lot of hits.

Likes mech-eng
Mark44 said:
There are quite a few companies with products to do this. If you do a web search for "tts software" you'll get a lot of hits.

Are there anyone here who tried one of them? And how are Google translate and Bing translator in this area?

mech-eng said:
Are there anyone here who tried one of them? And how are Google translate and Bing translator in this area?

Sorry I don't have the time to find the link today, but there was a news report that Google had a device (maybe prototype) that fits in your ear and does real time translation of more than 20 languages.

Considering that we have, Alexa, siri, and Cortana devices everywhere, it is mainstream technology.

mech-eng said:
In what context/for what purpose? There are different programs/apps for different uses.

Likes mech-eng
I do this: http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

I can't explain exactly how our technology works, but we have a variety of backend programs all working together. Some voices are human recorded voices that are parsed and merged, others use neural networks to generate sounds. There is also a significant amount of post-processing that acts sort of like auto-tune since even the best TTS engines can have same harsh artifacts. The technology is fairly old, the current push is to figure out how to do it efficiently on smaller devices like phones.

Likes mech-eng
russ_watters said:
In what context/for what purpose? There are different programs/apps for different uses.

Just for listening, For example I could listen a story or a lecture note.

What are the some special purposes for this programs?

mech-eng said:

On your phone or computer? For example, android phones have a native text-to-speech function.

russ_watters said:
On your phone or computer? For example, android phones have a native text-to-speech function.

For all devices. Phone, PC and others if there is any. (The devices people have been using are becoming more and more smart in time. Such as cars. So I said others). But mainly for PC.

mech-eng said:
For all devices. Phone, PC and others if there is any. (The devices people have been using are becoming more and more smart in time. Such as cars. So I said others). But mainly for PC.
Sorry, but this question is too broad/unfocused for my taste. I thought you had a specific purpose in mind that I we could help with.

russ_watters said:
Sorry, but this question is too broad/unfocused for my taste. I thought you had a specific purpose in mind that I we could help with.

Then it is for PC, I would ilke to turn some texts into speech for just listening to them. But I mean turning them to some file formats such as MP3, this is why I did the title as text to audio. If I turn them into those formats I can listen to them from every device.

Thanks

mech-eng said:
Any of the links CWatters posted would work. Just hunt around for what you want, some have limits on how much text they're willing to do for free, some don't. I use this for editing because having someone read it to me helps me hear it and computers don't misread like humans do.

mech-eng said:
Video games, handicapped accessibility, teaching, websites, telephony... it's used for lots of stuff.

My car GPS has a "text-to-speech" function as the navigation "voice" reads out the name of the street you shall turn into. Ten years ago, the pronunciation was amateurish and hard to understand, on my last unit it is close to perfect. And Norwegian is not the most common language in the world...

I think adobe pdf reader has this feature many years. Have you ever tried it? How is its pronunciation?

What is "From text to speech"?

"From text to speech" is a technology that allows a computer or device to convert written text into spoken words. It is also known as text-to-speech (TTS) or speech synthesis.

How does "From text to speech" work?

Text-to-speech technology works by converting written text into a series of phonemes (basic speech sounds) and then combining these sounds to create spoken words. This is done through algorithms and digital processing, often using recorded human speech to sound more natural.

What are the benefits of "From text to speech"?

Text-to-speech has many benefits, including making information and content more accessible to individuals with visual impairments, learning disabilities, or language barriers. It can also be used in various applications, such as navigation systems, virtual assistants, and audiobooks.

What are the limitations of "From text to speech"?

While text-to-speech technology has improved greatly, it still has limitations. One limitation is the lack of natural intonation and expression in the speech, which can make it sound robotic. It also may struggle with pronouncing certain words or names correctly.

What are some examples of "From text to speech" applications?

Text-to-speech technology is used in a variety of applications, including screen readers for individuals with visual impairments, language learning programs, and voice-enabled virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa. It is also commonly used in audiobook and podcast production.