Converting Units: Solving a Simple Density Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the conversion of units to show that a cube of water with a side length of 10cm has a mass of 1kg. The formula used was mass = volume x density, and the error in the calculation was due to a mistake in the operation of 10000/100.
Psip

Homework Statement

The density of water is given to be 1000kg/m^3 use unit conversion to show a cube of water with a side length of 10cm has a mass of 1kg.

Homework Equations

mass=volume x density

The Attempt at a Solution

1000kg/m^3*1000cm^3*1m/100cm*1m/100cm*1m/100cm=.01kg all meters and centimeters should cancel only leaving kilograms and the 1000cm^3 is the volume of the cube if each side is 10cm. So if you use the formula and multiply the volume and density then cancel the length units I should get 1kg according to the book but I'm 10 times too small. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try separating the operations with parentheses. Might help to put away the calculator --- it's all powers of 10.

Thanks for the reply but I tried that and I still get the wrong answer

One step at a time, then; "100x100?"

Ah yes I see thanks for your help the actual problem was that when I did 10000/100 it gives 100 but I thought that I didn't hit the button because it looks like the 100 never changed so it was a weird mistake on my part.

1. What is a simple conversion problem?

A simple conversion problem is a mathematical calculation that involves converting a value from one unit of measurement to another. This can include converting between different systems of measurement (such as metric and imperial) or different units within the same system (such as meters and centimeters).

2. Why do we need to know how to solve simple conversion problems?

Simple conversion problems are important for everyday tasks, such as cooking, measuring distances, and understanding weather forecasts. They also play a crucial role in many scientific and engineering fields, where accurate conversions between units are necessary for conducting experiments and analyzing data.

3. What are some common units used in simple conversion problems?

Some common units used in simple conversion problems include meters, centimeters, kilometers, feet, inches, pounds, grams, liters, and gallons. However, there are countless other units that may be used depending on the specific measurement being converted.

4. How do you solve a simple conversion problem?

To solve a simple conversion problem, you first need to identify the starting unit and the desired unit. Then, use a conversion factor to convert from the starting unit to the desired unit. A conversion factor is a numerical value that represents the relationship between the two units. Finally, multiply the starting value by the conversion factor to get the answer in the desired unit.

5. Can you give an example of a simple conversion problem?

Sure, an example of a simple conversion problem would be converting 10 kilometers to miles. First, we need to know the conversion factor between kilometers and miles, which is 0.621371. Then, we multiply 10 kilometers by 0.621371 to get the answer in miles, which is 6.21371 miles.