Cooking Physics: 2 TV Dinners at 350 Degrees

In summary, switching to other aspects, some of these dinners are tastier than anything I am likely to ever be able to cook.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Please forgive my ignorance:
What are the variables to consider? I have two TV dinners to be cooked in the oven at 350 deg.
First one requires 35 minutes , second one requires 50.
For how long should I cook both if done simultaneously?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a regular (as opposed to microwave) oven... they just cook in parallel without affecting one another. Put the one that needs 50 min in first, 15 minutes later put in the one that needs 35 minutes, take them both out 35 minutes after that. The oven holds 350 degrees throughout.

Likes russ_watters, davenn and WWGD
That's the ideal but in practice one often finds that it will take longer when there's more food in the oven. I've seen fudge factors like 10-15% but it really depends on the oven and what you're cooking. The best bet is to not eat TV dinners in the first place.

Likes russ_watters
Nugatory said:
For a regular (as opposed to microwave) oven... they just cook in parallel without affecting one another. Put the one that needs 50 min in first, 15 minutes later put in the one that needs 35 minutes, take them both out 35 minutes after that. The oven holds 350 degrees throughout.
This is true for conductive heating. Radiative processes (from burners or oven walls) will be shadowed by an additional cooler object and so the cooking time will be adversely affected. How big is radiation vs conduction?

Likes WWGD
I guess in comparison to an over we may consider these dinner packages as "point masses"? I mean, mine is a standard oven, but it seems that a total of less than one lb may pale by contrast/comparison.

Switching to other aspects, some of these dinners are tastier than anything I am likely to ever be able to cook.

JT Smith said:
That's the ideal but in practice one often finds that it will take longer when there's more food in the oven. I've seen fudge factors like 10-15% but it really depends on the oven and what you're cooking. The best bet is to not eat TV dinners in the first place.
The relationship between oven loading and cooking time is complicated, as you say. Two large joints of meat, side by side will take almost twice as long as one on its own. (The 20mins per pound rule.) I can't see two X 400g cook-chill giving any trouble.
You are being a bit judgemental about 'TV Dinners' I think. The eating experience depends very much on where they come from and probably the frozen versions are not so special. We have a Sainsbury's Curry most Thursdays as compensation for trekking round the shop that evening. I make pretty much every other meal in the week from the naked ingredients.
The TV dinner snobbery is a bit like the Microwave Oven thing. Frankly can't think of a better way to cook green veg or to pre-cook stuff before roasting. I guess I should try microwave bread one day. I worked with a woman who 'baked' cakes in the micro. Fine but no crust on them.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Switching to other aspects, some of these dinners are tastier than anything I am likely to ever be able to cook.
Practice, dear boy, Practice.

Likes WWGD

1. What is the significance of cooking at 350 degrees?

The temperature of 350 degrees is commonly used for cooking because it is hot enough to cook food thoroughly and evenly, but not so hot that it burns or dries out the food. It is also a good temperature for browning and crisping the outside of food while keeping the inside moist.

2. How do TV dinners cook evenly in the microwave?

TV dinners are designed to cook evenly in the microwave by using materials that absorb and distribute heat evenly. The food is also arranged in a specific way to allow for even cooking. Additionally, most TV dinners come with instructions to rotate or stir the food during cooking to ensure even heating.

3. Can I cook two TV dinners at once?

While it is possible to cook two TV dinners at once, it is not recommended. The microwave may not be able to distribute the heat evenly between the two meals, resulting in one being overcooked and the other undercooked. It is best to cook one TV dinner at a time for optimal results.

4. How does the type of plate affect cooking in the microwave?

The type of plate used for cooking in the microwave can affect the cooking time and results. Plates that are made of materials that do not absorb microwaves, such as glass or ceramic, are best for even cooking. Plates with metallic or reflective designs can cause uneven heating and should be avoided.

5. Why do some TV dinners have different cooking times?

TV dinners may have different cooking times due to variations in the amount and type of food in each meal. For example, a meal with more vegetables may take longer to cook than one with mostly meat. It is important to follow the cooking instructions on the package to ensure the food is cooked properly and safely.