Cooper Union Protest: Students Fight for Free Tuition

• News
  • Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary, the people commenting on the Yahoo article seem to be ignorant and imbecilic. They do not understand how much we are cheated out of our money as US college students vs college students in the aforementioned places. Most students are lazy and do not bother to work or pay their own way. It is hard to justify the high tuition prices when government loans are not very helpful in paying them off.
Ah yes I think we had this conversation a long time ago when I was still in high school. You left to go to Stony Brook physics right?

And yeah the main reason I started this thread was to see how many people actually had that mentality about Cooper Union students. As I said, I know quite a few of them and they are all very hardworking and modest kids so it really pissed me off to see them being called self-entitled and lazy, even if on the internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes... Stony Brook.

If someone offers you 4 years of free education and you pass up MIT or Harvard to take them up on their offer, and a year later they start charging you AS MUCH AS MIT OR HARVARD, don't you think you have a right to protest?
Once again, current students are exempt from paying tuition still, so there doesn't exist a student at CU who falls into that category.

WannabeNewton said:
I would hate to be the person who has to turn down MIT due to financial reasons. That would be the something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

MIT offers sufficient financial support for every admitted. It may not be comfortable. but it is sufficient.

Vanadium 50 said:
MIT offers sufficient financial support for every admitted. It may not be comfortable. but it is sufficient.

How does MIT know if it is offering sufficient financial support for every student? Yeah they collect some financial info but when different colleges have different policies on counting other children's tuition when calculating financial aid and stuff like that there's no way they can have a perfect record of offering enough

Vanadium 50 said:
Interesting. One university that is extremely generous with aid is Harvey Mudd College although like MIT it is nigh impossible to get into.

WannabeNewton said:
Interesting. One university that is extremely generous with aid is Harvey Mudd College although like MIT it is nigh impossible to get into.

Incidentally, a few days ago I came across a senior thesis from one of their recent graduates on quantum information theory(I forget the name, I can find out if anyone cares). I am not surprised, it was better than many masters and phd thesis I've seen.