Coord. Time Vector Field: Schwarzschild vs Gullstrand-Painleve

In summary: The only coordinate basis vector field that changes from Schwarzschild to Painleve coordinates is ##\partial / \partial r##.
cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
About the coordinate time vector field of Schwarzschild geometry in Schwarzschild vs Gullstrand-Painleve coordinate chart
Hi,

I was reading this insight schwarzschild-geometry-part-1 about the transformation employed to rescale the Schwarzschild coordinate time ##t## to reflect the proper time ##T## of radially infalling objects (Gullstrand-Painleve coordinate time ##T##).

As far as I understand it, the vector field ##{\partial} / {\partial t}## is actually the same as ## {\partial} / {\partial T}##.

Does it sound right ? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But you'll find that the spacelike coordinate bases aren't orthogonal to it, unlike in Schwarzschild coordinates (##\partial_r## isn't, anyway).

Ibix said:
Yes. But you'll find that the spacelike coordinate bases aren't orthogonal to it, unlike in Schwarzschild coordinates (##\partial_r## isn't, anyway).
ok, starting from the transformation ##T= t - 2M \left [ -2 \sqrt {r/2M} + ln \left( \frac {\sqrt {r/2M} +1} {\sqrt {r/2M} -1} \right) \right ]## how do we get ## {\partial} / {\partial T} = {\partial} / {\partial t}## ?

Generally, you write down the Jacobean matrix, the matrix whose ##i,j##th element is ##\partial x^i/\partial x'^j## and apply it to a vector ##U'^j## in order to transform it from the ##x'^j## coordinate system to the ##x^i## system. In this case ##x^i## are the upper case coordinates and ##x'^j## are the lower case ones, the elements of the Jacobean are ##\partial T/\partial t## (etc), and you would apply it to the vector (1,0,0,0) (assuming ##t## is your first coordinate) and you'll get (1,0,0,0) out.

Last edited:
Is there somewhere a definition of these coordinates?

I found them mentioned here: https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/talks/heraeus_ajsh_19/gullstrandpainleve.html
but I think what I wrote beforehand is fine. For the given relationship ##f(t,T,r) = 0## then ##\dfrac{\partial }{\partial t} = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial T} + \dfrac{\partial r}{\partial t} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial r} = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}##, given ##r## and ##t## are independent.

Ibix said:
Generally, you write down the Jacobean matrix, the matrix whose ##i,j##th element is ##\partial x^i/\partial x'^j## and apply it to a vector ##U'^j## in order to transform it from the ##x'^j## coordinate system to the ##x^i## system. In this case ##x^i## are the upper case coordinates and ##x'^j## are the lower case ones
I believe the Jacobian matrix of elements ##\partial x^i/\partial x'^j## should actually transform vectors ##U^j## to ##U'^j##. Anyway the elements of the first column should be ##(1,0,0,0)^T## hence the vector ## {\partial_T}## transforms in ##{\partial_t}## (i.e. ##{\partial_t} = {\partial_T} ##).

Last edited:
Likes Ibix
Indeed - corrected above.

Edit: And put it back again - see #14

Last edited:
I thought you had it right the first time, ##U^i = \dfrac{\partial x^i}{\partial {x'}^j} {U'}^j##.

Likes Ibix
ergospherical said:
I thought you had it right the first time, ##U^i = \dfrac{\partial x^i}{\partial {x'}^j} {U'}^j##.
I'm going to bed. I'll look at it in the morning...

I should probably do the same, but I noticed that season 2 of the Witcher has come out - so sleep can wait for a bit. :oldeyes:

Likes Ibix
cianfa72 said:
As far as I understand it, the vector field ##{\partial} / {\partial t}## is actually the same as ## {\partial} / {\partial T}##.
Yes. The only coordinate basis vector field that changes from Schwarzschild to Painleve coordinates is ##\partial / \partial r##.

cianfa72 said:
ok, starting from the transformation ##T= t - 2M \left [ -2 \sqrt {r/2M} + ln \left( \frac {\sqrt {r/2M} +1} {\sqrt {r/2M} -1} \right) \right ]## how do we get ## {\partial} / {\partial T} = {\partial} / {\partial t}## ?
A quicker way (I think) than the brute force way others have described is to note the following: the difference ##T - t## is a function of ##r## only, and ##r## is the same in both charts (i.e., any point in spacetime has the same value of ##r## in both charts), and the integral curves of ##\partial / \partial t## are curves of constant ##r##. Therefore, the difference ##T - t## is constant along any integral curve of ##\partial / \partial t##. I believe this is sufficient to show that the integral curves of ##\partial / \partial T## must be identical to the integral curves of ##\partial / \partial t##.

ergospherical said:
Oops, I think @Ibix was right. I confused the use of Jacobian matrix ##\left ( \dfrac{\partial x^i}{\partial {x'}^j} \right )##.

Namely ##\left ( \dfrac{\partial x^i}{\partial {x'}^j} \right )## transforms the coordinate basis vectors ##\left \{{\partial} / {\partial x^i} = {\partial_i} \right \}## associated to ##x^i## coordinate system into ##\left \{ {\partial} / {\partial x'^i} = {\partial_i'}\right \}## associated to ##x'^i## coordinate system. From the point of view of vector components in those coordinate basis the transformation rule is the other way around (as @Ibix said in post #4). Nevertheless the end result is fine.

Sorry for the confusion :frown:

Last edited:
Likes Ibix
It's easy to remember, if you always work with invariant objects, e.g., the vectors themselves. For the here considered "holonomous coordinates" the mnemonics is
$$\vec{A}=A^i \partial_i = A^{\prime j} \partial_j' =A^{\prime j} \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{\prime j}} \partial_i,$$
from which you read off for the components
$$A^i=A^{\prime j} \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{\prime j}}$$
or the other way
$$A^i \partial_i = A^i \frac{\partial x^{\prime j}}{\partial x^i} \partial_j'=A^{\prime j} \partial_j',$$
from which
$$A^{\prime j} = A^i \frac{\partial x^{\prime j}}{\partial x^i}.$$
This is of course consistent with the previous formula, because
$$\frac{\partial x^{\prime j}}{\partial x^i} \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{\prime k}} = \frac{\partial x^{\prime j}}{\partial x^{\prime k}}=\delta_k^j.$$
The vector components thus transform contravariantly.

For forms you have the corresponding dual basis ##\mathrm{d}^i##. Any one-form ##L## thus has components wrt. the

$$\tilde{L}=L_i \mathrm{d}^i =L_j' \mathrm{d}^{\prime j}=L_j' \frac{\partial x^{\prime j}}{\partial x^i} \mathrm{d} x^i=L_i \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{\prime j}} \mathrm{d} x^{\prime j},$$
from which
$$L_i = L_j' \frac{\partial x^{\prime j}}{\partial x^i} \; \Leftrightarrow \; L_j' = L_i \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{\prime j}}.$$
So the components of a linear form ##\tilde{L}## transform covariantly.

Likes Ibix and cianfa72
cianfa72 said:
Sorry for the confusion :frown:
No, I should have got pen and paper and checked instead of trying to do it in my head. We seem to be all sorted now (and I've un-un-corrected my post above).

vanhees71 said:
For forms you have the corresponding dual basis ##\mathrm{d}^i##
At this level no metric is involved -- i.e. we are really talking of a smooth manifold with a tangent & cotangent (dual) vector spaces defined on each point of it.

In other words at this level there is not a natural isomorphism between vector & covector (dual) space at each point. To realize it we need to pick a basis in the vector space (e.g. the coordinate/holonomic basis associated to a given coordinate chart and the corresponding basis in the dual space).

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is a coordinate time vector field?

A coordinate time vector field is a mathematical concept used in the study of spacetime and general relativity. It represents the direction and magnitude of change in time at each point in a specific coordinate system.

2. What is the difference between the Schwarzschild and Gullstrand-Painleve coordinate time vector fields?

The Schwarzschild coordinate time vector field is based on the Schwarzschild metric, which describes the geometry of spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. The Gullstrand-Painleve coordinate time vector field is based on a different metric, which describes the geometry of spacetime around a rotating mass.

3. How do these coordinate time vector fields affect the measurement of time in different reference frames?

The Schwarzschild coordinate time vector field causes time to appear to slow down near a massive object, such as a black hole. This is known as gravitational time dilation. The Gullstrand-Painleve coordinate time vector field also causes time to appear to slow down near a rotating mass, but in a different way than the Schwarzschild field.

4. Can these coordinate time vector fields be observed in real life?

Yes, the effects of these coordinate time vector fields have been observed and confirmed through experiments and observations, such as the gravitational redshift and the precession of Mercury's orbit.

5. What are the implications of these coordinate time vector fields for our understanding of spacetime and gravity?

These coordinate time vector fields are important in the study of general relativity and help us understand how gravity affects the passage of time. They also play a role in the development of theories that attempt to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics, such as loop quantum gravity.