Coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric

In summary, the null geodesics in the usual Minkowski coordinates are given by ##x\pm t = const##. You can find them in the given coordinates and use that to set the coordinate change that matches them.
offscene
Homework Statement
Starting from the metric ##ds^2=-X^2dT^2+dX^2##, using a coordinate transformation of T and X to t and x, convert it to the form ds^2=-dt^2+dx^2 (standard flat 2D metric).
Relevant Equations
Not actually a homework problem ("confession" from example 7.3 in Hartle's book for Gravity and GR) and no other relevant equations I can think of besides the standard chain rule but thought that this was the most fitting place to ask.
I started by expanding ##dx## and ##dt## using chain rule:

$$dt = \frac{dt}{dX}dX+\frac{dt}{dT}dT$$
$$dx = \frac{dx}{dX}dX+\frac{dx}{dT}dT$$

and then expressing ##ds^2## as such:

$$ds^2 = \left(\left(\frac{dt}{dX}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dt}{dX}\right)^2\right)dX^2+\left(\left(\frac{dt}{dT}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dt}{dT}\right)^2\right)dT^2 + 2\left(\frac{dt}{dX}\frac{dt}{dT}+\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{dx}{dX}\right)$$

But after matching the coefficients to the original ##ds^2##, I am unable to solve the equations to come up with the right transformation and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction/show me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the transformation with ##x = X\cosh(T)## and ##t = X\sinh(T)## with some guess and check but is there a cleaner way to do this?

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
The null geodesics in the usual Minkowski coordinates are given by ##x\pm t = const##. You can find them in the given coordinates and use that to set the coordinate change that matches them. In your case the null curves are given by ##dX^2=X^2dT^2##, which can be solved easily and gives ##Xe^{\pm T} = const## (you don't have to check that these are geodesics, if the change of variables works). So setting ##x+t = Xe^T## and ##x-t = Xe^{-T}## gives you the ones you found.

Likes offscene and TSny
offscene said:
Homework Statement:: Starting from the metric ##ds^2=-X^2dT^2+dX^2##, using a coordinate transformation of T and X to t and x, convert it to the form ds^2=-dt^2+dx^2 (standard flat 2D metric).
Relevant Equations:: Not actually a homework problem ("confession" from example 7.3 in Hartle's book for Gravity and GR) and no other relevant equations I can think of besides the standard chain rule but thought that this was the most fitting place to ask.

I started by expanding ##dx## and ##dt## using chain rule:

But after matching the coefficients to the original ##ds^2##, I am unable to solve the equations to come up with the right transformation and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction/show me.

Using the chain rule in [tex]ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 = -X^2 dT^2 + dX^2[/tex] you should find [tex]
\begin{split}
\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial X}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{\partial t}{\partial X}\right)^2 &= 1 \\
\left(\frac{\partial t}{\partial T}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial T}\right)^2 &= X^2 \\
\frac{\partial t}{\partial X}\frac{\partial t}{\partial T} - \frac{\partial x}{\partial T}\frac{\partial x}{\partial X} &= 0\end{split}[/tex] Now the first two equations are satisfied by setting [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial x}{\partial X} = \cosh \zeta \quad \frac{\partial t}{\partial X} &= \sinh \zeta \\
\frac{\partial t}{\partial T} = X\cosh \eta \quad \frac{\partial x}{\partial T} &= X\sinh \eta \end{split}
[/tex] due to the identify [itex]\cosh^2 u - \sinh^2 u = 1[/itex]. At present [itex]\eta[/itex] and [itex]\zeta[/itex] are unknown functions of [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex], but the third equation gives [tex]
X (\sinh \zeta \cosh \eta - \cosh \zeta \sinh \eta) = X \sinh(\zeta - \eta) = 0[/tex] so that [itex]\zeta = \eta[/itex]. The problem is now reduced to finding [itex]\eta[/itex]. We can either find by inspection that [itex]\eta = T[/itex] will work, or we can use equality of mixed partials to find that [tex]
\begin{split}
\frac{\partial^2 t}{\partial X\,\partial T} - \frac{\partial^2 t}{\partial T\,\partial X} =
\left(1 - \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial T}\right) \sinh \eta + X\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial X} \cosh \eta &= 0 \\
\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial X\,\partial T} - \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial T\,\partial X} =
\left(1 - \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial T}\right) \cosh \eta + X\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial X} \sinh \eta &= 0
\end{split}[/tex] and solving for the partial derivatives we find [tex]
1 - \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial T} = 0 = X\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial X}.[/tex]

Likes offscene

1. What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process that converts the coordinates of a point from one coordinate system to another. This is often used in geometry, physics, and other sciences to simplify calculations and make comparisons between different systems.

2. What is a standard flat metric?

A standard flat metric is a type of coordinate system that uses a Euclidean geometry, meaning it follows the rules of Euclid's geometry, which is based on the concept of a flat surface. This metric is commonly used in Cartesian coordinates, where the distance between two points is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. Why is coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric important?

Coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric is important because it allows us to compare and analyze data in a consistent and standardized manner. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to visualize and understand complex systems.

4. What are the steps for performing a coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric?

The steps for performing a coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric include identifying the coordinate system being used, determining the transformation equations, applying the equations to the coordinates of the point, and verifying the results.

5. What are some common applications of coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric?

Coordinate transformation into a standard flat metric is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and geography. It is also used in navigation systems, mapping, and satellite imaging to accurately locate and measure objects on the Earth's surface.