Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem .... ....

In summary, the conversation discusses the corollary to Theorem 6.2.1 in "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert. The corollary states that if the derivative of a function at a point exists, then it is equal to 0. However, there is confusion about the proof provided by GJA, as it does not use the assumption of continuity in the corollary. The conversation also brings up the question of why the authors introduced the continuity assumption in the corollary, and suggests an alternative corollary that would use continuity. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of continuity in understanding and proving mathematical theorems.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 6: Differentiation ...

I need help in fully understanding the corollary to Theorem 6.2.1 ...

Theorem 6.2.1 and its corollary ... ... read as follows:

?temp_hash=465454ca90d6e1c9eccdb5eea507cf5a.png
I am trying to fully understand the proof of the corollary ...

I was given the following proof by GJA (Math Help Boards) ... ...

"Either the derivative of ##f## at ##x=c## exists or it doesn't, and these are the only two possibilities. If it does, then ##f′(c)=0## from the theorem."BUT ... GJA's proof does not use the Corollary's assumption of continuity of ##f## ...

Is something amiss with GJA's proof ... ?

Peter*** EDIT ***

Note that Manfred Stoll in his book "Introduction to Real Analysis" gives the same theorem and corollary (Theorem 5.2.2 and Corollary 5.2.3) and again gives the condition that ##f## is continuous ... in Stoll's case that f is continuous on ##[a, b]## ...

Attachments

• Stoll - Theorem 5.2.2 and Corollary ... ....png
    Stoll - Theorem 5.2.2 and Corollary ... ....png
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • B&S - Theorem 6.2.1. and Corollary 6.2.2 ...  ....png
    B&S - Theorem 6.2.1. and Corollary 6.2.2 ... ....png
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,344
Physics news on Phys.org
The conclusion of 6.2.2 is identical to the conclusion of 6.2.1 because ##P\to C## is logically equivalent to ##(\neg P)\vee C##. Indeed, in most logical languages that use both the ##\to## (implies) and ##\vee## (or) symbols, one of them is defined by that equivalence.

Further, the premises of 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 seem to be the same, except that 6.2.2 adds an additional premise, of continuity. Since the conclusions are the same, and the premises of 6.2.1 are weaker than those of 6.2.2, 6.2.2 follows automatically from 6.2.1. I cannot see any reason for adding the continuity assumption in 6.2.2.

I can't see anything wrong with what GJA wrote. What mystifies me is why the author even bothered to write 6.2.2 (which appears to me to add as much information as a theorem that 'a bald man is a man') and why they introduced continuity.

There is a non-trivial corollary that would use continuity, as follows:

Let ##f:I\to\mathbb R## be continuous on interval ##(a,b)## and suppose that ##f(c)=\min f(I)##. Then either the derivative of ##f## at ##c## does not exist or ##f'(c)=0##.

I have not proven the theorem but I suspect it's true. Note the crucial difference that ##c## is the location of the minimum over ##I##, rather than just a relative minimum (minimum on an open neighbourhood containing ##c##) as in 6.2.1.

Maybe the authors meant to write something like this instead.

Likes Math Amateur
I wouldn't give too much weight to it. At points where ##f## isn't continuous, ##f'## doesn't exist either, so it's boring to talk about those points. How does theorem 4.2.9 read? Does it use continuity, cause it's used to prove theorem 6.2.1, in which case the condition is missing here. On the other hand, theorem 6.2.1 only makes an assertion about points, where ##f## is differentiable, which means especially continuous. So if ##f## is not continuous, then theorem 6.2.1 cannot be applied at such a discontinuity.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
I wouldn't give too much weight to it. At points where ##f## isn't continuous, ##f'## doesn't exist either, so it's boring to talk about those points. How does theorem 4.2.9 read? Does it use continuity, cause it's used to prove theorem 6.2.1, in which case the condition is missing here. On the other hand, theorem 6.2.1 only makes an assertion about points, where ##f## is differentiable, which means especially continuous. So if ##f## is not continuous, then theorem 6.2.1 cannot be applied at such a discontinuity.
Andrew, fresh_42

Thanks for the helpful clarification...

Peter

What is the Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem?

The Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and has a relative extremum at a point within that interval, then the function must have a local extremum at that point.

What does "extremum" mean in this theorem?

In this theorem, "extremum" refers to the maximum or minimum value of a function. A local extremum is a point where the function reaches its highest or lowest value within a specific interval.

How is the Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem related to the Interior Extremum Theorem?

The Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem is a direct result of the Interior Extremum Theorem. It is essentially a simplified version of the theorem that only applies to points within a closed interval.

What are some real-world applications of the Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem?

The Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem can be applied in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, or determine the most efficient design for a structure.

Are there any limitations to the Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem?

Yes, the Corollary to the Interior Extremum Theorem only applies to continuous functions on closed intervals. It cannot be used for functions that are discontinuous or defined on open intervals.