Correct energy transformation about circuit with EMF, a resistor and a motor

songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Energy transformation
1694657801851.png

My answer is C (although I am not sure if the correct one is C or D). I suppose since the 1-V battery is being charged by the 9-V battery, the electrical energy should be on the RHS of the energy transformation. Am I correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that you think that the correct answer is C, why did you exclude answer A? What's the difference between A and C?

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
Given that you think that the correct answer is C, why did you exclude answer A? What's the difference between A and C?
Because the pulley lifts a load so I think there would be energy converted to GPE, which is not covered by option A

Thanks

What do you understand mechanical energy to be?

Hint: Read the first sentence here.

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
What do you understand mechanical energy to be?

Hint: Read the first sentence here.
I thought the mechanical energy in this case maybe refer to something in the motor or pulley (like rotation). Is it not? So the correct answer should be A?

Thanks

songoku said:
So the correct answer should be A?
Are you asking me or are you telling me? As you know, according to our rules we cannot give answers away.

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
Are you asking me or are you telling me? As you know, according to our rules we cannot give answers away.
I am asking, sorry.

My answer is still the same, it is C and the reasoning is this
songoku said:
I thought the mechanical energy in this case maybe refer to something in the motor or pulley (like rotation)
Is my reasoning not correct?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am asking, sorry.

My answer is still the same, it is C and the reasoning is this

Is my reasoning not correct?

Thanks
I believe if you are adhering to the definition, then gravitational potential is a part of mechanical energy. Do you have definitions given to you of mechanical energy that say otherwise?

Likes songoku
erobz said:
I believe if you are adhering to the definition, then gravitational potential is a part of mechanical energy. Do you have definitions given to you of mechanical energy that say otherwise?
No, I don't. What I learned about mechanical energy is that it is the sum of potential and kinetic energy. I am only using my own interpretation that maybe this is some trick question so I tried to include whatever rotation in motor and pulley to be referred as mechanical energy and gravitational energy is treated separately

Thanks

`IMO none of the given answers are correct and the appropriate answer should be:
chemical → electrical → thermal + mechanical

Likes songoku and nasu
Thank you very much for the help and explanation kuruman, erobz, Steve4Physics

songoku said:
Thank you very much for the help and explanation kuruman, erobz, Steve4Physics
If you remember, let us know what the supposed correct answer was when you find out.

Likes songoku

1. What is the purpose of an EMF in a circuit?

The purpose of an EMF (electromotive force) in a circuit is to provide the energy needed to move electrons through the circuit. It acts as a source of electrical potential, driving the flow of current through the circuit.

2. How does a resistor affect energy transformation in a circuit?

A resistor is a component that resists the flow of current in a circuit. This resistance causes a drop in voltage, which in turn leads to a decrease in energy. Therefore, a resistor reduces the amount of energy in a circuit and converts it into heat.

3. What role does a motor play in energy transformation in a circuit?

A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. In a circuit, a motor uses the electrical energy from the EMF to create a magnetic field, which then produces motion or mechanical energy. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. How does energy transformation occur in a circuit with an EMF, resistor, and motor?

Energy transformation in this type of circuit occurs in multiple stages. First, the EMF provides the initial energy to drive the flow of current. Then, the resistor reduces the energy in the circuit. Finally, the motor converts the remaining electrical energy into mechanical energy.

5. Can energy be lost in this type of circuit?

Yes, energy can be lost in this type of circuit. This is due to the conversion of electrical energy into other forms of energy, such as heat or mechanical energy. Additionally, there may be losses due to resistance in the circuit, which can also result in a decrease in energy.