Correct Feynman rules for one loop diagram?

In summary: This can be checked by evaluating the integral by hand and comparing it with the results from the software. In summary, the Feynman rules for the process quark + quark -> photon + quark + quark are correct and the order of the fermion lines does not affect the amplitude.
CAF123
Gold Member
Consider the diagram attached for the process quark + quark -> photon + quark + quark. I want to check I have the correct expression for the amplitude for this process by using the Feynman rules. ##i,j,m,n,l,p## are colour indices. ##k## is the loop momentum. I don't care about overall factors of -1 or i. All momenta are incoming.

$$\mathcal M = e_q g_s^4 \int \frac{d^dk}{(2\pi)^d} \left( \bar u(-p_5) \gamma^{\nu} t_a^{jl} \frac{\not k + \not p_4 + m}{(k+p_4)^2 - m^2} \gamma^{\delta} \frac{\not k + m}{k^2-m^2} \gamma^{\mu} t_b^{il} v(-p_3) \right) g^{\nu \rho} g^{\mu \sigma} \frac{1}{(k+p_4+p_5)^2 (k-p_3)^2} \times \left(\bar u(-p_2) \gamma^{\rho}t_a^{mp} \frac{-(\not k + \not p_4 + \not p_5 + \not p_2) + m}{(k+p_4+p_5+p_2)^2-m^2} \gamma^{\sigma}t_b^{np} u(p_1)\right) \epsilon_{\delta}(p_4)$$

(I think) the structure there is correct but, in particular, I just wanted to check that the order in which I write down the two fermion lines doesn't matter? Because the part in each brackets is just 1x1 (a number) so commutes with the other. Basically I am using software that will do all these types of integrals for me but to begin with I want to evaluate one by hand and check my results with what the software gives me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• oneloop.png
    oneloop.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 665
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the order in which you write down the two fermion lines does not matter. This is because the part in each bracket is a number and therefore commutes with the other. As long as you are consistent with your notation, the order of the fermion lines will not affect the amplitude.

What are Feynman rules for one loop diagram?

Feynman rules are a set of mathematical rules used to calculate the probability of a particle interaction in quantum field theory. They involve assigning mathematical terms to each vertex, propagator, and external leg in a Feynman diagram to represent the probability amplitude of the corresponding particle interaction.

What is a one loop diagram in quantum field theory?

A one loop diagram is a Feynman diagram that represents a particle interaction involving one virtual particle loop. In quantum field theory, particles can emit and reabsorb virtual particles, and these virtual particles can form a loop in a Feynman diagram. One loop diagrams are important because they can contribute to the calculation of the probability of a particle interaction.

How do you calculate the probability of a one loop diagram using Feynman rules?

To calculate the probability of a one loop diagram, you need to follow these steps: 1) Assign mathematical terms (propagators, vertices, and external legs) to each part of the diagram using Feynman rules. 2) Multiply all the assigned terms together. 3) Integrate over all possible values of the internal loop momentum. 4) Square the result and multiply by a factor to account for identical particles. This will give you the probability amplitude of the one loop diagram.

What are the factors that can affect the accuracy of Feynman rules for one loop diagram?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of Feynman rules for one loop diagram. One is the complexity of the diagram itself - the more vertices and internal loops a diagram has, the more difficult it is to calculate accurately. Another factor is the precision of the input parameters, such as particle masses and coupling constants. Lastly, higher order corrections (diagrams with more than one loop) can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

How are Feynman rules for one loop diagram used in practical applications?

Feynman rules for one loop diagram are used in many practical applications, including in the calculation of particle scattering amplitudes, decay rates, and cross sections. They are also used in theoretical studies of quantum field theory, such as in the calculation of quantum corrections to the Standard Model of particle physics. In experimental particle physics, Feynman rules are used to compare theoretical predictions with experimental data to test the validity of the underlying theory.