Correct Formula for "No Fringe Condition" (Michelson Interferometer)

In summary, there are two different formulas for calculating the separation of mirrors for which there is no fringe observed. In approach (a), the formula is d= λ(1)λ(2)/(4∆λ), while in the other textbook, the formula is d= λ(1)λ(2)/(2∆λ). The first formula is considered to be correct as it gives the distance for which the maximum amount of fringes can be observed with two closely spaced wavelengths. The second formula gives the distance for which the maximum amount of fringes can be observed with two closely spaced wavelengths. While both formulas have a distinction of 1/2, the first one is more commonly
warhammer
In two different textbooks, there are two different formulas with different derivation styles for the "No Fringe Formation" Condition.

In approach (a), they use an amalgamation of bright and dark for 2 wavelengths having very minute difference in the following manner:

2dcostheta=n*λ(1) -------- (1)

2dcostheta= (n+1/2)*λ(2) ----------- (2)

Subtracting both the equations we get, n=λ(2)/(2(∆λ))

Now using this value of 'n' for small angles in (1) we get d= λ(1)λ(2)/(4∆λ)

This is one formula.

In the other textbook they have used another approach to calculate the separation 'd' in order to gauge after what distance fringe vanishes. Here they considered a bright of nth order and another bright for (n+1)th order. So proceeding in similar fashion as above (for small angles etc.)

2d=nλ(1)=n'λ(2) where n'=n+1

Thus n=λ(2)/{(λ(1)-λ(2)}

Using above value of n, we eventually get

d= λ(1)λ(2)/(2∆λ).

This is the other formula.

Now I would greatly appreciate if someone would help me understand which is the correct one because I used both of them and they apply for different questions which are of the type- "find separation of mirrors for which there is no fringe observed".

Both have a distinction of 1/2.

Science news on Phys.org
The first one is the correct one as far as I can tell. The second one gives the distance for which you will observe the maximum amount of fringes with two closely spaced wavelengths.
This phenomenon will be cyclical, in that you can have ## 2d=n \lambda_a=(n+3/2) \lambda_b ##, and I think that will give ## d=(3/4)(\lambda_a \lambda_b)/\Delta \lambda ##, etc. (Edit: Yes, I did the algebra=it does indeed give this result).
In college we did this with the 5890 and 5896 (angstroms) lines of sodium, and the fringes come and go periodically as one of the mirrors is moved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes warhammer
Charles Link said:
The first one is the correct one as far as I can tell. The second one gives the distance for which you will observe the maximum amount of fringes with two closely spaced wavelengths.
This phenomenon will be cyclical, in that you can have ## 2d=n \lambda_a=(n+3/2) \lambda_b ##, and I think that will give ## d=(3/4)(\lambda_a \lambda_b)/\Delta \lambda ##, etc. (Edit: Yes, I did the algebra=it does indeed give this result).
In college we did this with the 5890 and 5896 (angstroms) lines of sodium, and the fringes come and go periodically as one of the mirrors is moved.
Thank you so much for your response sir. I was also inclined towards the first one but in both the textbooks I am still unable to understand/gauge why the authors have used the distinct formulae in same type of questions 😕 But I guess I will stick with the first one only

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the "No Fringe Condition" in a Michelson Interferometer?

The "No Fringe Condition" in a Michelson Interferometer is a state where the two beams of light traveling through the interferometer have equal path lengths, resulting in no interference pattern or fringes. This condition is used to accurately measure the wavelength of light.

2. How is the "No Fringe Condition" achieved in a Michelson Interferometer?

The "No Fringe Condition" is achieved by adjusting the position of the mirrors in the interferometer so that the two beams of light have equal path lengths. This can be done by moving one of the mirrors or by using a compensating plate.

3. Why is the "No Fringe Condition" important in a Michelson Interferometer?

The "No Fringe Condition" is important because it allows for accurate measurements of the wavelength of light. Without this condition, the interference pattern produced by the two beams of light would be distorted, making it difficult to determine the wavelength.

4. What is the formula for calculating the "No Fringe Condition" in a Michelson Interferometer?

The formula for calculating the "No Fringe Condition" is L = (n + 1/2)λ, where L is the path length difference between the two beams of light, n is the number of fringes observed, and λ is the wavelength of light.

5. How is the "No Fringe Condition" used in other scientific applications?

The "No Fringe Condition" is used in other scientific applications, such as in optical coherence tomography and Fourier transform spectroscopy, to accurately measure the wavelength of light and obtain information about the properties of a sample. It is also used in interferometry-based experiments to study the interference of light waves and to measure small changes in distance or refractive index.