Correct statement about error and uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between options (b) and (d) and the potential impact of taking an average on reducing random error and the reading of the diameter. It is uncertain whether the reasoning provided is correct, but typically there is only one correct answer for the given questions.
songoku
Homework Statement
Which of the following statements is correct?
a. Checking for zero error in voltmeter before measuring a voltage will help to reduce random error

b. Measuring the timing of a larger number of oscillations will help to reduce the fractional uncertainty of the period

c. Plotting a graph of voltage and current readings for an ohmic device and using its gradient to find resistance will help to eliminate random error

d. In the measurement of the diameter of a sphere, taking more readings and finding the average value of these readings will help to reduce the fractional uncertainty of the diameter
Relevant Equations
Not sure
I know option (a) and (c) are wrong but I don't know the difference between option (b) and (d) because I think they are the same (taking average to get more accurate reading and reduce random error).

My guess is (b) because I think for (d) the fractional uncertainty maybe can stay the same because taking average will reduce random error (the uncertainty) and also can reduce the reading of the diameter (I mean the average of 5 readings will be smaller than average of 4 readings) so the fractional uncertainty (##\frac{\Delta ~ diameter}{diameter}##) stays the same

I am not sure whether my reasoning is correct. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
I mean the average of 5 readings will be smaller than average of 4 readings
No reason why it should ...
(unless the balloon is deflating :smile:)

You sure only one and not two can be correct ?

BvU said:
No reason why it should ...
(unless the balloon is deflating :smile:)

You sure only one and not two can be correct ?
Well I can't say I am sure but from all the questions given, usually there is only one correct answer, unless there is something wrong with the question

What is the difference between error and uncertainty?

Error refers to the difference between a measured value and the true value, while uncertainty is a measure of the range of possible values that the true value could fall within.

How do errors and uncertainties affect scientific measurements?

Errors and uncertainties can affect the accuracy and precision of scientific measurements. They can also impact the reliability and validity of experimental results.

What are some sources of error and uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Sources of error and uncertainty can include human error, equipment limitations, environmental factors, and variability in the sample being measured.

How can scientists reduce errors and uncertainties in their measurements?

Scientists can reduce errors and uncertainties by using precise and accurate measurement tools, conducting multiple trials, and controlling for external factors that could affect the results.

Why is it important to acknowledge and address errors and uncertainties in scientific research?

Acknowledging and addressing errors and uncertainties in scientific research is important because it allows for more accurate and reliable conclusions to be drawn. It also promotes transparency and helps to avoid misleading or incorrect conclusions.