Error Calculation for a Diffraction Grating's Performance

In summary: I hope it goes well!In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the error of an average value for N in a diffraction grating experiment. The proposed solution is to sum the uncertainties in quadrature and divide by the number of samples. The option of using a weighted standard deviation is also mentioned, but not deemed necessary due to the small error in angle measurements. The individual should consult with their lecturer for further clarification.
zehkari

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the error of an average value (N for diffraction grating).
My results were 4 different average angles. With which I calculated their uncertainty using std.
Using equation (1), I found the number of lines per meter (N) with a known wavelength (λ) and the correct diffraction order (p).
However, I now need an average of those 4 N values to find a mean N value.
What is my uncertainty on the mean N value, considering sin(θ) used in the equation is based off 4 results with their uncertainty?
I understand how to propagate error. I am just confused with how to take the 4 propagated errors based off the uncertainty of the angles to find an error on the mean N.

Homework Equations

(1) sin(θ)=pNλ

The Attempt at a Solution

My only idea would be adding all 4 propagation errors on N to give the total error for the average N?

Any help would be great, many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that your N values are ##N_1, N_2,...N_4## with uncertainties ##\Delta_1,\Delta_2,...,\Delta_4##. I'd think that the uncertainties should sum in quadrature (square root of sum of squares) and be divided by the number of samples. So:

$$\Delta_{avg} = \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\sum_{i=0}^4{\Delta_i^2}}$$

Likes zehkari
what is your uncertainty in angle? You have a measurement equation, that determines your uncertainty.

gneill said:
Suppose that your N values are ##N_1, N_2,...N_4## with uncertainties ##\Delta_1,\Delta_2,...,\Delta_4##. I'd think that the uncertainties should sum in quadrature (square root of sum of squares) and be divided by the number of samples. So:

$$\Delta_{avg} = \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\sum_{i=0}^4{\Delta_i^2}}$$

Hey, thanks, do you know of the weighted standard diviation? Does that apply here?

zehkari said:
Hey, thanks, do you know of the weighted standard diviation? Does that apply here?
I know of it. I'll state right away that I am not an expert in this area.

Having said that, I feel It might be applicable if the percent error in angular measurements is untowardly biasing the results (if Δθ is of fixed size then the fraction Δθ/θ becomes larger as θ gets smaller, even though you measure with the same accuracy).

Likes zehkari
gneill said:
I know of it. I'll state right away that I am not an expert in this area.

Having said that, I feel It might be applicable if the percent error in angular measurements is untowardly biasing the results (if Δθ is of fixed size then the fraction Δθ/θ becomes larger as θ gets smaller, even though you measure with the same accuracy).

Yeah, the error in angle measurements is quite small. I think I will stick with sum of uncertainty in quadrature like you suggested and then talk it over with my lecturer. Thank you for your help.

You're very welcome.

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical device that consists of a large number of parallel slits or grooves that are evenly spaced. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, creating a spectrum.

What is the purpose of calculating the error for a diffraction grating's performance?

The error calculation for a diffraction grating's performance allows us to determine the accuracy and precision of the grating's measurements. It helps us to understand how well the grating is able to separate the different wavelengths of light and if there are any inconsistencies or errors in its performance.

How is the error for a diffraction grating's performance calculated?

The error for a diffraction grating's performance is typically calculated by comparing the measured values with the expected values. This can be done by measuring the positions of spectral lines and comparing them to known values, or by measuring the intensity of the spectral lines and comparing them to theoretical predictions.

What factors can affect the error in a diffraction grating's performance?

Some of the factors that can affect the error in a diffraction grating's performance include the quality of the grating, the wavelength of light being used, the angle of incidence of the light, and any imperfections or defects in the grating's surface or structure. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact.

How can the error in a diffraction grating's performance be minimized?

The error in a diffraction grating's performance can be minimized by using a high-quality grating, ensuring proper alignment and calibration, and controlling environmental factors. Regular maintenance and calibration can also help to reduce errors and ensure accurate measurements.