Correct statement about solenoid

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of magnetic field and resulting force in a solenoid with closely spaced turns. While the assumption is that the magnetic field is directed into the plane between adjacent loops, this is not entirely accurate and there is a difference in the field between adjacent segments of the wire. This explains the attractive force between adjacent turns, as the force between two parallel straight wires with current in the same direction is attractive.
songoku
Homework Statement
A long solenoid with closely spaced turns carries a direct electric current. Each turn of wire exerts ....
(A) an attractive force on the next adjacent turn.
(B) a repulsive force on the next adjacent turn.
(C) zero force on the next adjacent turn.
(D) either an attractive or a repulsive force on the next adjacent turn, depending on the direction of current in the solenoid.
(E) either an attractive or a repulsive force on the next adjacent turn, but is not depending on the direction of current in the solenoid.
Relevant Equations
Fleming Left hand rule

Right hand grip rule
I imagine the question to be like this:

Take x - axis as horizontal and y - axis as vertical so the cross sectional area of the solenoid is parallel to x - y plane, then I take two parallel circles (back to back) to represent "A long solenoid with closely spaced turns".

I assume there is clockwise current flowing through the first circle (the front one) so there will also be clockwise current flowing through second circle (behind the first circle). Based on right hand grip rule, there will be magnetic field directed into the plane (cross)

Now I take small section at the top part of second circle so it can be considered a straight wire. This wire will have current flowing to the right and magnetic field directed into the plane so by using fleming left hand rule, there will be magnetic force directed upwards.

Doing the same for the bottom section of second circle, the direction of force will be downwards so this will cancel out the force acting on top section and same thing happens to all part of the circle.

My answer is (c) but the answer key is (a). Why there is attractive force between adjacent turns? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Based on right hand grip rule, there will be magnetic field directed into the plane (cross)
This is you main assumption in which you base all your reasoning but while it is true in the region towards the center of the loops it is not true in the region between adjacent segments of the wire of the loops(i mean in the region between the wires that make up adjacent loops, hard to explain this without a figure). The magnetic field in this "in-between region" is quite different and its field lines resemble those of a magnetic field of a straight conductor.

To see how the force is attractive take a small segment ##dl_1## in one loop and find the force that exerts in the ""corresponding parallel "" ##dl_2## in the adjacent loop. You can treat ##dl_1## and ##dl_2## as straight pieces of wire and find the force that two straight pieces of wire exert on each other with current in the same direction.

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
This is you main assumption in which you base all your reasoning but while it is true in the region towards the center of the loops it is not true in the region between adjacent segments of the wire of the loops(i mean in the region between the wires that make up adjacent loops, hard to explain this without a figure). The magnetic field in this "in-between region" is quite different and its field lines resemble those of a magnetic field of a straight conductor.

To see how the force is attractive take a small segment ##dl_1## in one loop and find the force that exerts in the ""corresponding parallel "" ##dl_2## in the adjacent loop. You can treat ##dl_1## and ##dl_2## as straight pieces of wire and find the force that two straight pieces of wire exert on each other with current in the same direction.
I think I get it. Thank you very much Delta2

Likes Delta2

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to move or control objects.

How does a solenoid work?

A solenoid works by converting electrical energy into magnetic energy. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels other magnetic objects. This allows the solenoid to move or control objects.

What are the applications of solenoids?

Solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in electromechanical devices such as door locks, valves, and relays. They are also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators, and in medical equipment, such as MRI machines.

What is the difference between a solenoid and an electromagnet?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet, but the two terms are often used interchangeably. However, a solenoid typically refers to a coil of wire with a cylindrical core, while an electromagnet can have different shapes and configurations.

How can a solenoid be controlled?

A solenoid can be controlled by varying the amount of current flowing through the coil, which changes the strength of the magnetic field. It can also be controlled by changing the direction of the current, which changes the direction of the magnetic field.