Correct statement about thermodynamics process

In summary: I now know that the heat of process A is greater than the heat of process B. In summary, process A absorbs more heat than process B.
songoku
Homework Statement
An ideal gas is taken through two cycles shown in Figure a and b. In Figure a, the cycle consists of process A (solid line) and adiabatic process (dash line). In figure b, the cycle consists of process B (solid line) and isothermal process (dash line). Which of the following statements is true?
A) The heat of both processes A and B are released;
B) The heat of both processes A and B are absorbed;
C) The heat of process A is released, while the heat of process B is absorbed;
D) The heat of process A is absorbed, while the heat of process B is released.
Relevant Equations
ΔU = Q + W
1688224948862.png

I know process B absorbs heat but I can't determine the heat of process A.

In adiabatic process, Q = 0 but process A is not adiabatic. I only know both W and ΔU will be negative for process A but how to know Q?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of ##\Delta U## when a gas undergoes a thermodynamic cycle, starting and ending in exactly the same thermodynamic state?

Likes songoku and hutchphd
Chestermiller said:
What is the value of ##\Delta U## when a gas undergoes a thermodynamic cycle, starting and ending in exactly the same thermodynamic state?
ΔU will be zero since there is no change in temperature. But sorry I don't understand the direction of the hint since process A does not start and end in exactly same thermodynamic state.

Thanks

For process A, I think they mean the entire cycle, not just the solid line. I think it also includes the dashed line.

Chestermiller said:
For process A, I think they mean the entire cycle, not just the solid line. I think it also includes the dashed line.
I think they mean the solid line. Please see below.
songoku said:
ΔU will be zero since there is no change in temperature. But sorry I don't understand the direction of the hint since process A does not start and end in exactly same thermodynamic state.
For process A, write the first law for the dashed and solid line:

##\Delta U_A^{\text{solid}}=Q_A^{\text{solid}}+W_A^{\text{solid}}##

##\Delta U_A^{\text{dashed}}=Q_A^{\text{dashed}}+W_A^{\text{dashed}}##

You know that ##\Delta U_A^{\text{solid}}=\Delta U_A^{\text{dashed}}##

What else do you know?
How do ##W_A^{\text{solid}}## and ##W_A^{\text{dashed}}## compare?

Repeat along similar lines with process B asking yourself the same questions.

Likes songoku and Chestermiller
I understand.

Thank you very much for the help and explanation Chestermiller and kuruman

1. What is thermodynamics process?

Thermodynamics process is the study of the movement and transformation of energy in a system. It involves the study of heat, work, and energy transfer.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is the difference between an open and closed thermodynamic system?

An open thermodynamic system allows for the exchange of both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system only allows for the exchange of energy.

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to entropy?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system.

5. What is the significance of thermodynamics in our daily lives?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, from the functioning of our bodies and the food we eat, to the operation of machines and the production of energy. It helps us understand and control the transfer and transformation of energy in various systems.