Finding efficiency of an engine (with attempt)

In summary, the conversation discusses a failed attempt at finding efficiency through a specific process, followed by a potential solution that involves finding work and heat for each step and dividing to get the total efficiency. There is also a mention of converting units and potential sources for the numbers used in the calculation.
RandiSS
Homework Statement
An engine using 1 mol of an ideal gas ini- tially at 17.8 L and 283 K performs a cycle consisting of four steps:
1) an isothermal expansion at 283 K from 17.8 L to 35.1 L;
2) cooling at constant volume to 125 K ;
3) an isothermal compression to its original volume of 17.8 L; and
4) heating at constant volume to its original temperature of 283 K .
Find its efficiency. Assume that the heat capacity is 21 J/K and the univer- sal gas constant is 0.08206 L · atm/mol/K = 8.314 J/mol/K.
Relevant Equations
ɛ=W/Q
W=nRTln(Vf/Vi)
Q=nCΔT
4D5E1E81-4AEF-4944-9A34-02D1ABF814BB.jpeg

This was my first attempt which was not right. But it was at least a percent unlike my 2nd attempt.
64735F59-2206-42A3-AE8D-BB003A89B58E.jpeg

This was my second which I found on another forum website. It said it found the work of step 1, heat absorbed of step 2, work of step 3, and absorbed heat of step 4. However, the answers to the equations they provided just canceled out when finding the total heat absorbed and work done, which gave me an undefined efficiency. I know I need to find the work and heat for each step, combine, then divide total W by total Q. Am I using the wrong numbers or is this just not the right process to find efficiency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Update:
A7538912-430F-4FE2-8E1B-40BA7E591C49.jpeg

I think I might have figured it out but I’m not sure.

RandiSS said:
Update:View attachment 324922
I think I might have figured it out but I’m not sure.
I got it!

Likes berkeman
where you get 0.0315 and 0.0178 from?

soulpassion said:
"an isothermal expansion at 283 K from 17.8 L to 35.1 L"
For some reason, @RandiSS converted to kilolitres, but since only the ratio matters it makes no difference.

Likes berkeman
soulpassion said:
Maybe from here?
RandiSS said:
1) an isothermal expansion at 283 K from 17.8 L to 35.1 L;

1. What is the definition of engine efficiency?

Engine efficiency is a measure of how well an engine converts the energy from its fuel into useful work. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient engine.

2. How is engine efficiency calculated?

Engine efficiency can be calculated by dividing the useful work output of the engine by the energy input from the fuel. This can be done using various methods, including measuring fuel consumption and power output, or using specialized equipment to measure the engine's performance.

3. What factors affect engine efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect engine efficiency, including the design and size of the engine, the type and quality of fuel used, and the operating conditions (such as speed and load). Other factors like maintenance and wear and tear can also impact engine efficiency.

4. How can engine efficiency be improved?

To improve engine efficiency, it is important to regularly maintain and tune the engine, use high-quality fuel, and operate the engine under optimal conditions. Additionally, advancements in engine technology and design can also contribute to improving efficiency.

5. Why is engine efficiency important?

Engine efficiency is important because it directly affects the performance and cost-effectiveness of an engine. A more efficient engine can produce more power while using less fuel, resulting in cost savings and reduced emissions. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as transportation, where fuel efficiency is a major factor in overall efficiency and profitability.