Correct statement about transverse wave propagating along a string

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of different statements related to the direction of a transverse wave's motion and the displacement of points on the string. The speaker argues that statement 1 is incorrect because the wave moves left and P can only move up or down. The expert explains that this occurs when the wave at P is lower in the next instant, which happens when the wave moves left. The expert also clarifies that statement 2 is not correct and statement 3 is false regardless of the direction of wave motion.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
None
1664201061531.png

My answer is (1) only but my teacher said (3) is also correct. I don't understand why, I think when the wave is moving to the left both Q and R will be moving upwards, no?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
My answer is (1) only but my teacher said (3) is also correct. I don't understand why, I think when the wave is moving to the left both Q and R will be moving upwards, no?
Seems that way to me : you could ask them to expand on their response, see if they have the right particles.

Likes songoku
Only 2 is correct. 1)Since P is moving downward the wave is going to right as p approaches to right. 2)Yes, since R has a longer way to go. 3) Both are going to right.

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27
planck999 said:
p approaches to right.
??
P is not moving left or right, just straight down, and the wave is moving left.
songoku said:
Q and R will be moving upwards
Yes.

Likes songoku
planck999 said:
3) Both are going to right
How do you mean that? This is a transverse wave and the points on the string can only move up and down.

planck999 said:
Only 2 is correct. 1)Since P is moving downward the wave is going to right as p approaches to right. 2)Yes, since R has a longer way to go. 3) Both are going to right.
No. Each point on the string is moving up or down only. For P to be moving down, you need to find the displacement direction of the wave for which the wave at P is lower in the next instant. This occurs when the wave moves left.

2) No. The wave will have passed S completely first and the statement is false.

3) Is false regardless of direction of wave motion.

Please do not confuse students if you are not 100% certain of the answer.

Thank you very much hmmm27, Planck999, haruspex, kuruman, Orodruin

Orodruin said:
For P to be moving down, you need to find the displacement direction of the wave for which the wave at P is lower in the next instant. This occurs when the wave moves left.
To put that in slightly more mathematical terms:

A wave moving left/right is given by the displacement ##u(x,t) = f(x \pm ct)## (with upper sign for a wave moving left). At a given point ##x = x_0##, the up/down motion of the string is given by ##u_t(x_0,t) = \pm c f'(x_0 \pm ct) = \pm c u_x(x_0,t)##. The string is moving down at ##x_0## if this is negative. Since the x-derivative at P is negative, we need the positive sign for the full expression to be negative, i.e., the wave is moving left.

Likes songoku

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the particles move up and down or side to side, rather than back and forth in the same direction as the wave.

2. How does a transverse wave propagate along a string?

A transverse wave propagates along a string by causing the particles of the string to vibrate up and down or side to side. This vibration is caused by the transfer of energy from one particle to the next, creating a wave-like motion that travels along the string.

3. What is the correct statement about transverse wave propagation along a string?

The correct statement about transverse wave propagation along a string is that the particles of the string move perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, and the wave travels along the string without causing any displacement of the string itself.

4. What are some examples of transverse waves?

Some examples of transverse waves include light waves, water waves, and seismic S waves. In each of these examples, the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

5. How is the speed of a transverse wave along a string determined?

The speed of a transverse wave along a string is determined by the tension of the string and the mass per unit length of the string. This relationship is described by the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed of the wave, T is the tension of the string, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string.