Corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum for wastewater?

In summary: I don't know. Thanks for your input!In summary, the person is looking for frame materials that will last and be corrosion resistant for a housing surrounding a waste container. They are considering T-slot framing made of aluminum and galvanized steel.
hjannett
TL;DR Summary
I'm wondering about corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum for wastewater applications.
Hello,
I'm looking for structural materials that will act as the frame (skeleton) for the housing surrounding a waste container. The frame will structurally support HDPE panels as walls. This will be above ground for use in Uganda (but we can ship materials), under a raised squat toilet hole.

I'm looking for rails or rail materials for servicers to roll waste containers in and out of the housing, but also what frame materials will be corrosion resistant to the salts found in urine and wastewater. It likely will not come in direct contact with urine or wastewater, but in case of spills or evaporation, I'd like it to last a while. I was looking at 80/20's 25-2525 T-slot framing for ease of assembly and durability. It says its made of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum. I was unable to get info from customer service about corrosion resistance, so I was wondering if anyone has any input about using this product for this application (or any knowledge on this metal in contact with saltwater would also be great), or any other recommended materials or products. 6000 series alloys have "excellent corrosion resistance", but I'm not really sure what that means for my application. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just based on experience, aluminum is good in resisting corrosion except when exposed to salt and soils. I have found copper to be number one in that salt environment if you can afford it and live with its green oxide. Galvanized steel is good for 15 years or so. Periodic cleaning is helpful also.

Thanks for the suggestions PhanthomJay! I've since found some info when I search for corrosion under salt water exposure specifically (which is a decent approximation). I think copper is beyond our budget, but I'm continuing to research other options (like stainless steel or UHMW). From the research I'm guessing that 80/20 would hold up since it's anodized, but we cut it to length, and the cut ends would leave exposed areas for corrosion. I looked into your suggestion for galvanized steel, and have seen contradicting opinions--maybe it ultimately depends on the ionic ratios in the water?

1. What is 6105-T5 anodized aluminum?

6105-T5 is a type of aluminum alloy that has been anodized, meaning it has been treated with an oxide layer to improve its corrosion resistance.

2. How is the corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum for wastewater?

The corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum for wastewater is excellent. The anodizing process creates a protective layer on the surface of the aluminum, making it highly resistant to corrosion from water and other chemicals found in wastewater.

3. What makes 6105-T5 anodized aluminum a good choice for wastewater applications?

6105-T5 anodized aluminum is a good choice for wastewater applications because of its high corrosion resistance and durability. It can withstand exposure to harsh chemicals and environments, making it a reliable material for use in wastewater treatment plants and other related facilities.

4. Are there any limitations to the corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum for wastewater?

While 6105-T5 anodized aluminum is highly resistant to corrosion, it is not completely immune. Extended exposure to extremely harsh chemicals or high levels of acidity may eventually cause some corrosion to occur. However, in most wastewater applications, the corrosion resistance of this material is more than sufficient.

5. How can the corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum be maintained in a wastewater environment?

To maintain the corrosion resistance of 6105-T5 anodized aluminum in a wastewater environment, it is important to regularly clean and maintain the surface of the material. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage the anodized layer. Additionally, applying a sealant or coating can provide an extra layer of protection against corrosion.