Cos^2(φ_1) +cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) = 1 in a three dimensional cartesian system

In summary, the conversation was about a homework assignment to prove that cos^2(φ_1) +cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) = 1 in a three dimensional cartesian system. The participants discussed the equations and angles involved, with one person eventually arriving at the solution. The summary shows the steps taken to prove the equation.
karkas

Homework Statement

I seem to be stuck for an assignment that I have for one of my classes, in which we are asked to prove that cos^2(φ_1) +cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) = 1 in a three dimensional cartesian system, where φ_1 ,φ_2, φ_3 are the angles that a random vector r (x,y,z) is to the x,y and z axxi respectively.

Homework Equations

Prove that cos^2(φ_1) +cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made various attempts at linking the angles together and forming some kind of equation but none of them lead to the solution. It just seems really random to me, maybe I'm wrong because it's so early in the morning...

Physics news on Phys.org
If phi_1 is the angle (x,y,x) makes with the x axis, then x=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*cos(phi_1), yes? That's just trig. What are the other two coordinates?

Dick said:
If phi_1 is the angle (x,y,x) makes with the x axis, then x=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*cos(phi_1), yes? That's just trig. What are the other two coordinates?

I'm guessing you mean r(x,y,z). So its got to be y=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*sin(phi_2) and z=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*cos(phi_3).

y has cosine like the others, not sine.

karkas said:
I'm guessing you mean r(x,y,z). So its got to be y=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*sin(phi_2) and z=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)*cos(phi_3).

Well, I meant (x,y,z) to be the coordinates of the point. Why did you put sin in the y coordinate? sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) is the length of the vector. cos is the ratio between the hypotenuse and the coordinate, yeah?

SammyS said:

Oh yeah my bad. I'm then guessing that it's wrong to say that cos(phi_2)=sin(phi_1).I'm not entirely sure which angles our teacher wanted us to use, therefore I'm confused. The fact is that I have formed these equations, but messing with them led me to the beggining which generally means I'm missing something.

SammyS said:

Ah, ok. Then do you understand why those things are true? If so, then compute x^2+y^2+z^2 using x=cos(phi_1)*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), etc.

SammyS said:

Oh, that was you SammyS. Want to take it from here??

Dick said:
Ah, ok. Then do you understand why those things are true? If so, then compute x^2+y^2+z^2 using x=cos(phi_1)*sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), etc.

Ah I think I got it and I guess it's just a matter of not spotting the answer, my everlasting doom. x^2+y^2+z^2 = |z|^2
and
x^2+y^2+z^2 = [ cos^2(phi_1) + cos^2(phi_2) + cos^2(phi_3) ] * ( x^2+y^2+z^2)
= [ cos^2(phi_1) + cos^2(phi_2) + cos^2(phi_3) ] * |z|^2,
therefore we have proven it?

karkas said:
Ah I think I got it and I guess it's just a matter of not spotting the answer, my everlasting doom.

x^2+y^2+z^2 = |z|^2
and
x^2+y^2+z^2 = [ cos^2(phi_1) + cos^2(phi_2) + cos^2(phi_3) ] * ( x^2+y^2+z^2)
= [ cos^2(phi_1) + cos^2(phi_2) + cos^2(phi_3) ] * |z|^2,
therefore we have proven it?

Yes.

Related to Cos^2(φ_1) +cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) = 1 in a three dimensional cartesian system

1. What does the equation Cos^2(φ_1) + cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) = 1 represent in a three dimensional cartesian system?

The equation represents a relationship between the three angles (φ_1, φ_2, and φ_3) in a three dimensional cartesian system. It states that the sum of the squares of the cosine values of these three angles is equal to 1.

2. How is this equation related to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this equation, the three angles (φ_1, φ_2, and φ_3) can be thought of as the sides of a right triangle, and the cosine values of these angles represent the lengths of those sides. Therefore, this equation can be seen as a generalization of the Pythagorean theorem in a three dimensional cartesian system.

3. What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation is significant because it is a fundamental relationship between three angles in a three dimensional cartesian system. It is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry, and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How many solutions does this equation have?

Since this equation involves three variables (φ_1, φ_2, and φ_3), it can have infinite solutions. However, in a three dimensional cartesian system, the solutions are limited by the restrictions of the coordinate axes.

5. Can this equation be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, this equation can be extended to higher dimensions by adding more variables. For example, in a four dimensional cartesian system, the equation would be written as Cos^2(φ_1) + cos^2 (φ_2) + cos^2(φ_3) + cos^2(φ_4) = 1. This equation can continue to be extended to higher dimensions as needed.