Cosine Error: 5mm Ball Tip Stylus at 7.5° Angle

In summary, the cosine error of a measured point on the surface is not a simple value, but a vector that gets larger when the angle between the probe and the normal vector gets larger. The cosine error can be quite large and can affect the accuracy of measurements.
Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cosine error of a measured point on the surface is not a simple value, but a vector. If the ball contacts the part surface at a point located a distance from the theoretical or nominal point then the angle between the probe and the normal vector gets larger, P1 P2 will increase. We have cosine error. This error occurs when the part surface varies compared to the CAD nominal. If the angle between the probe actual touch point P and the normal vector P2 gets larger, P1 P2 will increase.

Help..If I have a 5 mm ball tip stylus and can only vector in to the surface at 7.5° how much cosine error will I have?

1679582313705.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ranger Mike said:
Cosine error of a measured point on the surface is not a simple value, but a vector. If the ball contacts the part surface at a point located a distance from the theoretical or nominal point then the angle between the probe and the normal vector gets larger, P1 P2 will increase. We have cosine error. This error occurs when the part surface varies compared to the CAD nominal. If the angle between the probe actual touch point P and the normal vector P2 gets larger, P1 P2 will increase.

Help..If I have a 5 mm ball tip stylus and can only vector in to the surface at 7.5° how much cosine error will I have?

View attachment 323978
For what you have labeled as the cosine error ( call it ##\epsilon##) in the diagram I'm getting:

$$ \epsilon = r \left[ 1-\cos \alpha + \sin \alpha \cos \alpha \tan \frac{\alpha}{2} \right]$$

Last edited:
ero, thank you for taking the time to look at this.
error = 5 mm [ 1 - cos 7.5° + sin 7.5° times cos 7.5° times (tan 7.5° /2) ]

Likes erobz
Ranger Mike said:
ero, thank you for taking the time to look at this.
error = 5 mm [ 1 - cos 7.5° + sin 7.5° times cos 7.5° times (tan 7.5° /2) ]

Second go, I think a cleaner version is:

$$ \epsilon = r \left( 1- \cos \alpha \right) \left( 1 + \cos \alpha \right) $$

But they should give the same result.

Or even cleaner!

$$ \epsilon = r \sin^2 \alpha$$

Sorry for all the changes...but as I keep looking I keep seeing more simplifications...

I checked the first against the last and they are equivalent. Computationally, better to use the last one!

I get ##\epsilon = 5 [\text{mm}] \sin^2 (7.5°) \approx 0.085 [\rm{mm}]##

Likes berkeman
when checking high precision parts, the error of 0.0033" is HUGE.

thank you for the great work.

Likes berkeman and erobz

1. What is a cosine error?

A cosine error is a measurement error that occurs when using a ball tip stylus at an angle. It is caused by the difference in the angle of the stylus and the surface being measured, resulting in a discrepancy between the actual position and the measured position of the stylus tip.

2. How does a 5mm ball tip stylus at a 7.5° angle affect measurements?

Using a 5mm ball tip stylus at a 7.5° angle can result in a cosine error of the measured position, meaning that the measured position will be slightly different from the actual position due to the angle of the stylus. This can lead to inaccuracies in measurements and affect the overall precision of the data.

3. Can a cosine error be corrected?

Yes, a cosine error can be corrected by using mathematical formulas or calibration procedures to compensate for the angle of the stylus. This can help improve the accuracy of measurements and reduce the impact of the cosine error.

4. Are there any other factors that can contribute to cosine error?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to cosine error, such as the surface finish of the object being measured, the rigidity of the stylus, and the type of measurement system being used. These factors can also affect the accuracy of measurements and should be taken into consideration when trying to reduce cosine error.

5. How can cosine error be minimized?

Cosine error can be minimized by using a smaller stylus tip, reducing the angle of the stylus, and ensuring that the stylus is perpendicular to the surface being measured. Regular calibration and proper maintenance of the measurement system can also help minimize cosine error and improve the accuracy of measurements.