Cosmic Invent. HW: Determine Densities & Measurements

In summary, the homework problem requires us to determine the density of Baryons, Cold Dark Matter, Radiation, Dark Energy, and the total density of the universe in terms of the critical density today. We must also provide the density of each quantity in dimensionless Omega units and list two ways of determining these values, identifying the measurement with the tightest constraint. The suggested equation for this problem is not given, but reliable sources from the internet can be used. One approach to solving this problem could be to research the terms on Wikipedia and gather data to make calculations. Alternatively, we can use the Cosmic Energy Inventory to find percentages and the size of the known universe to estimate the total mass.
MrSavikins

Homework Statement

One of our homework problems asks us to state the density of Baryons, Cold Dark Matter, Radiation, Dark Energy, and the total density of the universe in terms of the critical density today. It also states to give the density of each quantity in dimensionless Omega units (the density parameter).
It finishes by saying that there are multiple ways of determining some of these values, and we have to list two of them and identify the measurement that makes the tightest constraint.

Homework Equations

We weren't given any, but I'm guessing this is one:

de942db43c051ab02a37190a45405171.png

and
7215e34146072041c98e6a266ba1ee4e.png

I would imagine values found on the internet (from trustworthy sources) would count as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea where to begin. If I at least had a starting point I might be able to do the actual problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by checking the terms on wikipedia and see what stats you can find and how they are determined.

Unfortunately no matter where I go on the internet (wikipedia included), I can't seem to find any values or calculations for the values :/

The article gives you percentages and you can find the size of the known universe somewhere and perhaps the total mass.

1. What is the purpose of "Cosmic Invent. HW: Determine Densities & Measurements"?

The purpose of this assignment is to help students understand the concept of density and how it relates to measurements in the context of the cosmos. It also allows students to practice calculating densities and making measurements using different units.

2. How do you determine the density of an object?

The density of an object can be determined by dividing its mass by its volume. This can be done by using a balance to measure the mass and a ruler to measure the dimensions of the object for calculating its volume. The formula for density is D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

3. Why is density an important concept in the study of the cosmos?

Density is an important concept in the study of the cosmos because it helps scientists understand the composition and structure of celestial objects. It also plays a crucial role in determining the formation and evolution of planets, stars, and galaxies.

4. What are some common units for measuring density?

The most commonly used units for measuring density are grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) and kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). Other units such as pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3) and grams per milliliter (g/mL) may also be used depending on the context.

5. How can density be used to identify unknown substances in space?

Density can be used to identify unknown substances in space by comparing their measured densities to known densities of different materials. This can help scientists determine the composition and properties of the substance, which can provide insights into its origin and role in the cosmos.