Rewriting the Friedmann Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a universe with Cold Matter, Radiation, and Dark Energy satisfying a specific equation of state. The Friedmann equation can be rewritten in terms of the Hubble constant, scale factor, and fractions of the critical density for each component. When w < -1/3, the dominant energy density component in the early universe is likely radiation, while in the late universe, dark energy is likely to dominate. However, without knowing the specific values of the density fractions, this answer may not be applicable to all cases of w < -1/3.
SN_1987A

Homework Statement

Consider a universe with Cold Matter, Radiation, and Dark Energy satisfying an equation of
state [itex]p = w\rho.[/itex]

Variables: p is the pressure of the universe, w is a constant, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of the universe.

a) Show that the Friedmann equation can be rewritten as
[itex] H^2(t) = H_0^2(\Omega_{DE}(\frac{a_0}{a(t)})^{3(1+w)} + \Omega_K(\frac{a_0}{a(t)})^2 + \Omega_M(\frac{a_0}{a(t)})^3 + \Omega_R(\frac{a_0}{a(t)})^4)[/itex]

Variables: [itex]H(t)= \frac{\dot{a}}{a}[/itex] is the Hubble constant, [itex]H_0[/itex] is today's value of H, a(t) and [itex]a_0[/itex] are the scale factor at time t and today, respectively, and the Omegas are fractions of the critical density for Dark Energy (DE), Curvature (K), Matter(M), and Radiation (R).

b) For the case [itex]w < \frac{-1}{3},[/itex] which component of energy density is likely to dominate the early universe? How about the late universe?

Homework Equations

(1) [itex]\dot{a}^2 + K = \frac{8 \pi G \rho a^2}{3}[/itex]
(2) [itex]\dot{\rho} = \frac{-3\dot{a}}{a}(p+\rho)[/itex]
(3) [itex]\Omega_K = \frac{-K}{a_0^2 H_0^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part a),

Putting in the given equation for pressure, (2) can be solved to obtain

(4) [itex]\rho = \rho_0 \frac{a_0}{a}^{3(1+w)}[/itex]

where [itex] \rho_0[/itex] is the current density, which itself is just the sum of the densities of dark energy, matter, and radiation at today's time.

(5) [itex]\rho_0 = \rho_{DE0} + \rho_{M0} + \rho_{R0}[/itex]

Plugging (5) into (4), (4) into (1), and dividing (1) by [itex]a^2[/itex] yields

(6) [itex]H^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} (\rho_{DE0} + \rho_{M0} + \rho_{R0} ) (\frac{a_0}{a})^{3(1+w)} - \frac{K}{a^2}[/itex]

The current densities are related to their fraction of the current critical densities by

(7) [itex]\rho_{i0} = \frac{3H_0^2 \Omega_i}{8 \pi G}[/itex]
where i is Dark Energy, Matter, or Radiation

Putting (7) into each of the densities in (6), and pulling out a factor of [itex]\frac{3H_0^2}{8 \pi G}[/itex] gives

(8)[itex]H^2 = H_0^2 (\Omega_{DE} + \Omega_{M} + \Omega_{R} ) (\frac{a_0}{a})^{3(1+w)} - \frac{K}{a^2}[/itex]

which, solving (3) for K and putting into (8) gives an answer very close to the solution

(9) [itex]H^2 = H_0^2 (\Omega_{DE} + \Omega_{M} + \Omega_{R} ) (\frac{a_0}{a})^{3(1+w)} - \Omega_K (\frac{a_0}{a})^2[/itex]

Problem
This would get me the desired result if I could choose w as [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] for the radiation term, and 0 for the matter term, which are the values of w that solve radiation and matter dominated universes, respectively, but I don't see how I would be allowed to just simply say "on this term, w is 0, and on this one, it's [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex], and for this one, I'll leave it as w".

My Solution to Part b)

When [itex]w < \frac{-1}{3},[/itex], using the solution in part a), in the early universe, when [itex]\frac{a_0}{a}[/itex] is large, the Radiation term (largest exponent) will dominate. When [itex]\frac{a_0}{a}[/itex] is approximately 1, the Dark Energy term (which has the largest value of the density fractions), should dominate.

Problem
Explicitly, I haven't been given values of the Omegas, which means I've just tailored an answer to what we know about our universe: radiation dominated while young, dark energy dominated now.

Physics news on Phys.org
But, without knowing the values of the Omegas, this answer might not be generalizable to all w < \frac{-1}{3}.

What is the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation is a fundamental equation in cosmology that describes the evolution of the universe. It relates the expansion rate of the universe to its energy content and curvature.

Why is the Friedmann equation important?

The Friedmann equation is important because it allows us to understand the dynamics of the universe and make predictions about its past and future behavior. It is also a key component in the development of cosmological models and theories.

What does rewriting the Friedmann equation mean?

Rewriting the Friedmann equation refers to the process of manipulating the equation to make it more useful for specific applications or to better understand its implications. This can involve rearranging terms, substituting variables, or adding new terms.

What are some applications of rewriting the Friedmann equation?

Rewriting the Friedmann equation can be useful for studying the effects of different types of energy or matter on the expansion of the universe, investigating the behavior of non-standard cosmological models, and testing the validity of various theories of gravity.

What are some challenges in rewriting the Friedmann equation?

One challenge in rewriting the Friedmann equation is ensuring that the new form is mathematically consistent and physically meaningful. Another challenge is determining which terms or variables to include or exclude in order to accurately reflect the relevant physical processes and phenomena.