Cosmic rays and induced radioactivity

So, unless the body is contaminated with radioactive material, it will not become radioactive itself.
rob60

Homework Statement

90% of the cosmic rays that fall on Earth are protons. So the outside of the Earth is hit by a net positive charge but does not seem to be, in particular, positively charged. How do you explain this?
One last thing: I read that a body that is exposed to radiation becomes radioactive radiation source in turn ... I think it is generally false unless the body is contaminated with radioactive material. It is correct?
thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rob60 said:
One last thing: I read that a body that is exposed to radiation becomes radioactive radiation source in turn ... I think it is generally false unless the body is contaminated with radioactive material. It is correct?

In general, you are correct. Material exposed to a neutron or proton flux can become activated, which usually makes some part of it radioactive, and energetic enough electron or gamma fluxes can also do it (but it in general takes a lot of energy).

What are cosmic rays?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles, mostly protons and atomic nuclei, that originate from outer space and constantly bombard the Earth's atmosphere. They can also come from the Sun or other sources in our galaxy.

How do cosmic rays cause induced radioactivity?

When cosmic rays collide with atoms in the Earth's atmosphere, they can create high-energy secondary particles, such as neutrons. These secondary particles can collide with other atoms, causing them to become radioactive and emit radiation.

Are cosmic rays harmful to humans?

While cosmic rays do pose a potential health risk to astronauts and airline crew members who are exposed to them at high altitudes, they are generally not harmful to humans on the ground. The Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field act as a shield, protecting us from most of the cosmic rays.

Can cosmic rays be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, cosmic rays have been used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. They are also used in particle accelerators to study the structure of matter and in space exploration to study the composition of other planets and stars.

How do scientists study cosmic rays?

Scientists use various instruments, such as detectors and telescopes, to measure and study cosmic rays. They also analyze the secondary particles created by cosmic rays to understand their origin and properties. Additionally, scientists use computer simulations to model and study the effects of cosmic rays on different materials.