Minimum safe distance from a radioactive source

In summary, the potassium isotope 4219K has a half-life of 12 hours and decays into calcium isotope 4220Ca through the emission of a gamma ray. The resulting calcium atom has 19 electrons, 20 protons, and 22 neutrons. In order to work safely near a radioactive source, the dose rate must not exceed 7.5 * 10-4 rem hr-1, which is equivalent to 1/4 of the initial dose rate. Therefore, it will take 24 hours for the dose rate to decrease to a safe level. The intensity of radiation from a point source decreases with the inverse square of the distance from the source.
moenste

Homework Statement

The potassium isotope 4219K has a half-life of 12 hr, and disintegrates with the emission of a γ-ray to form the calcium isotope 4220Ca. What other radiation besides γ-rays must be emitted? How many electrons, protons, and neutrons are there in an atom of the calcium isotope?

The amount of radiation received in unit time by a person working near a radioactive source, commonly called the dose rate, is measured in rem hr-1. The safety regulations forbid dose rates in excess of 7.5 * 10-4 rem hr-1.The γ-ray dose rate from the 4219K source is found to be 3 * 10-3 rem hr-1 at a distance of 1 m. What is the minimum distance from this source at which it is safe to work?

After how long will it be safe to work at a distance of 1 m from this source?

Answers: 2.0 m; 24 hours.

2. The attempt at a solution
4219K → 4220Ca + 0-1β + 00γ.

4220Ca: electrons = protons = 20, neutrons = 22.

Minimum distance is (3 * 10-3) / (7.5 * 10-4) = 4. So 1 m from the source is 4 times more dangerous than it should be. So the distance should be increased 4 times, so the safe distance is 4 m. Why the answer is 2 m?

I used A = A0 e- λ t to find time. The dose should decrease from 3 * 10-3 rem hr-1 to 7.5 * 10-4 rem hr-1. So: 7.5 * 10-4 = 3 * 10-3 e- (ln 2 / 12) t → t = 4.3 hours. Why not 24? I also calculated everything in seconds, not hours, still same result when I change the final answer to seconds.

Why the distance is wrong and how to get the correct time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
2. The attempt at a solution
It's a beta decay process, which produces ##\beta^-## particles (electrons), as you say. In the beta-minus decay, an anti-neutrino is also produced.
4220Ca: electrons = protons = 20, neutrons = 22.
The initial potassium isotope has 19 electrons. A beta particle (i.e. one more electron) is created in the decay process and is emitted from the system as ionising radiation. But the resulting calcium atom that is left over has only a changed nucleus and not a changed number of electrons surrounding that nucleus. So, the Calcium atom only has 19 electrons after the decay process.

Minimum distance is (3 * 10-3) / (7.5 * 10-4) = 4. So 1 m from the source is 4 times more dangerous than it should be. So the distance should be increased 4 times, so the safe distance is 4 m. Why the answer is 2 m?
The intensity of radiation from a point source drops off with the inverse square of the distance from the source.

I used A = A0 e- λ t to find time. The dose should decrease from 3 * 10-3 rem hr-1 to 7.5 * 10-4 rem hr-1.
The figure ##7.5\times 10^{-4}## doesn't appear in the problem statement that you've quoted. If it is correct, then your solution method is correct. However, I calculate the time as 24 hours, as required, using your numbers.

Likes moenste
I don't see any definition for a safe dose rate. Is there information missing from the problem statement, or are there standard values from a table that you need to know?

Likes moenste
James R said:
It's a beta decay process, which produces ##\beta^-## particles (electrons), as you say. In the beta-minus decay, an anti-neutrino is also produced.

The initial potassium isotope has 19 electrons. A beta particle (i.e. one more electron) is created in the decay process and is emitted from the system as ionising radiation. But the resulting calcium atom that is left over has only a changed nucleus and not a changed number of electrons surrounding that nucleus. So, the Calcium atom only has 19 electrons after the decay process.The intensity of radiation from a point source drops off with the inverse square of the distance from the source.The figure ##7.5\times 10^{-4}## doesn't appear in the problem statement that you've quoted. If it is correct, then your solution method is correct. However, I calculate the time as 24 hours, as required, using your numbers.
gneill said:
I don't see any definition for a safe dose rate. Is there information missing from the problem statement, or are there standard values from a table that you need to know?
Very sorry, somehow I skipped an entire sentence while making the problem and then got distracted to check the text for mistakes,
moenste said:
The safety regulations forbid dose rates in excess of 7.5 * 10-4 rem hr-1.

A quick check:

##\frac{7.5\times 10^{-4}}{3.0\times 10^{-3}}=\frac{1}{4}## so we need a dose rate that is one-quarter of its initial value. After 1 half-life the rate will be half of what it was initially, and after 2 half-lives it will be 1/4, so we need 2 half lives, or 24 hours.

Likes moenste and gneill
James R said:

The initial potassium isotope has 19 electrons. A beta particle (i.e. one more electron) is created in the decay process and is emitted from the system as ionising radiation. But the resulting calcium atom that is left over has only a changed nucleus and not a changed number of electrons surrounding that nucleus. So, the Calcium atom only has 19 electrons after the decay process.
Got it.

4220Ca: electrons = 19 (since we need to look at K, which has 19 electrons), protons = 20, neutrons = 22.
James R said:
The intensity of radiation from a point source drops off with the inverse square of the distance from the source.
Not sure whether I understand this part. Is there a formula?
James R said:
The figure ##7.5\times 10^{-4}## doesn't appear in the problem statement that you've quoted. If it is correct, then your solution method is correct. However, I calculate the time as 24 hours, as required, using your numbers.
Yes, I re-calculated and got 24 hours. Had some corrections in my notes so probably calculated it wrong : ).

James R said:
Could you please elaborate on this part? This is the last thing I don't understand quite well in this problem : ).

What is the minimum safe distance from a radioactive source?

The minimum safe distance from a radioactive source depends on the type of radiation and the strength of the source. Generally, it is recommended to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet (2 meters) from a source of gamma radiation and at least 3 feet (1 meter) from a source of beta radiation.

How do you determine the minimum safe distance from a radioactive source?

The minimum safe distance can be determined by using a radiation detector to measure the level of radiation at different distances from the source. The distance at which the detector reads the lowest level of radiation is considered the minimum safe distance.

What factors can affect the minimum safe distance from a radioactive source?

The factors that can affect the minimum safe distance include the type and strength of the radioactive source, the type of radiation emitted, and the environment in which the source is located. Other factors such as shielding and time of exposure also play a role in determining the minimum safe distance.

Is there a universal minimum safe distance for all radioactive sources?

No, there is not a universal minimum safe distance for all radioactive sources. The minimum safe distance can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. It is important to assess each source individually and determine the appropriate minimum safe distance.

What precautions should be taken when working near a radioactive source?

When working near a radioactive source, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear. It is also important to monitor the levels of radiation with a detector and maintain a safe distance from the source. Regular monitoring and maintenance of the source is also necessary to ensure safe handling and storage.