Cosmological red shift and cosmic time dilation

• I
  • Thread starter andrew s 1905
  • Start date
andrew s 1905
TL;DR Summary
This paper claims the normal explanation of red shift is wrong and is in fact due to cosmic time dilation. I would like an expert view on its merit.
This https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphy.2022.826188/full#h14 paper makes the claim as in the summary.

I don't have the experience to judge the merit of the claim. I would value any views on it is correct or not and if incorrect where the error(s) is (are).

I do have some understanding of the various coordinate system mentioned but the claim seem to be one of physical differences not just coordinate transform.

Thanks in advance Andrew

Space news on Phys.org
This quotation shows that the author's knowledge of GR is shaky. Re the FLRW metric.

"In contrast to the space coordinates, the time coordinate is assumed to be invariable during the Universe history. This is somewhat strange and surprising, because other solutions in GR such as the well-known Schwarzschild solution [1113] involve distortions in space and time together."

This is poor.

Likes andrew s 1905
I see at least two obvious falsehoods in the paper:

(1) It claims that the FLRW metric in conformal coordinates is physically different from the FLRW metric in standard FLRW coordinates. This is false: conformal coordinates are a useful tool (see, for example, their usage in Davis & Lineweaver 2003 to clarify the meaning of various cosmological parameters), but transforming to conformal coordinates does not change anything about physical observables.

(2) It claims that the standard derivation of the relationship between cosmological redshift and the expansion of the scale factor, found in many textbooks and papers, is wrong.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Thanks sorry I missed it. Andrew

Thanks, please close this thread. Regards Andrew

What is cosmological red shift?

Cosmological red shift is a phenomenon in which light from distant galaxies appears redder than expected due to the expansion of the universe. This is caused by the stretching of the wavelength of light as it travels through space.

How is cosmological red shift related to the expansion of the universe?

Cosmological red shift is a result of the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the space between galaxies also expands, causing the wavelength of light to stretch and appear redder. This is known as the Doppler effect.

What is cosmic time dilation?

Cosmic time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving away from an observer at high speeds. This is a result of the stretching of space-time due to the expansion of the universe.

How does cosmic time dilation affect our perception of time?

Cosmic time dilation can make it seem like time is passing at different rates for different objects, depending on their relative speeds and distances from us. This can lead to discrepancies in our perception of time compared to other objects in the universe.

What is the significance of studying cosmological red shift and cosmic time dilation?

Studying cosmological red shift and cosmic time dilation can provide valuable insights into the expansion of the universe and the nature of space and time. It also allows us to better understand the properties of distant galaxies and the history of the universe.