Cosmology and quantum mechanics as a joint degree?

In summary: Typically, it would take about two years to complete a physics degree, but it would depend on the program you choose and the coursework you take.
Vishal Rana
Is it possible for me to do cosmology and quantum mechanics as a joint degree at uni? If so where and does it cost extra? I’ve been wondering for a whole and I’m not sure where to look.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're probably looking for is an undergraduate degree in physics. Just about all undergraduate physics degrees should have at least an introductory course in quantum mechanics and most will have more. Cosmology may or may not be an option, but would be covered as a senior level undergraduate course if it is, or, if you can convince the instructor, you might be able to enroll in a graduate course that covers it.

Specialization is something that really starts at the masters or PhD level. In general I would tend to avoid undergraduate programs that offer too much specialization too early. You can always go from general to specific, but once you've chosen a specific path you tend to close more doors than you open.

Likes Vishal Rana
Choppy said:
What you're probably looking for is an undergraduate degree in physics. Just about all undergraduate physics degrees should have at least an introductory course in quantum mechanics and most will have more. Cosmology may or may not be an option, but would be covered as a senior level undergraduate course if it is, or, if you can convince the instructor, you might be able to enroll in a graduate course that covers it.

Specialization is something that really starts at the masters or PhD level. In general I would tend to avoid undergraduate programs that offer too much specialization too early. You can always go from general to specific, but once you've chosen a specific path you tend to close more doors than you open.
Cheers that really helped

Vishal Rana said:
Is it possible for me to do cosmology and quantum mechanics as a joint degree at uni? If so where and does it cost extra? I’ve been wondering for a whole and I’m not sure where to look.

Also note that there is typically no such thing as a major in "quantum mechanics", just like there is typically no major in "classical mechanics" or "E&M". EVERY physicist needs to know QM up to some graduate level.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Also note that there is typically no such thing as a major in "quantum mechanics", just like there is typically no major in "classical mechanics" or "E&M". EVERY physicist needs to know QM up to some graduate level.

Zz.
It says u did a physics degree. How long did that take and if I do a joint degree in something will it take much longer?

1. What is the difference between cosmology and quantum mechanics?

Cosmology is the study of the universe on a large scale, while quantum mechanics is the study of subatomic particles and their interactions. Cosmology deals with the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

2. Why would someone choose to pursue a joint degree in cosmology and quantum mechanics?

A joint degree in cosmology and quantum mechanics allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. It also provides a unique perspective on how the macroscopic and microscopic worlds interact and influence each other.

3. What are some potential career paths for someone with a joint degree in cosmology and quantum mechanics?

Graduates with a joint degree in cosmology and quantum mechanics can pursue careers in research, academia, and industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology. They may also work for government agencies or organizations focused on space exploration and astronomy.

4. How do cosmology and quantum mechanics overlap and complement each other?

Cosmology and quantum mechanics are both essential in understanding the universe. Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, while cosmology explains the behavior of the universe as a whole. They overlap in areas such as the study of the early universe and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions.

5. What are some current research topics in the field of cosmology and quantum mechanics?

Some current research topics in cosmology and quantum mechanics include dark matter and dark energy, the origin and evolution of the universe, quantum entanglement and its role in cosmology, and the search for a unified theory that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity.