Could a steering wheel cause acceleration/deceleration of a car?

In summary: The car is ideal for this question because the caster effect doesn't affect the answer. The car can be steered in any direction and it will still accelerate.In summary, the gas pedal and the brakes of a car are used to change the velocity by accelerating the car or decelerating it. A steering wheel may also perform either of these two actions.
bahtiyar
question: The gas pedal and the brakes of a car are used to change the velocity by accelerating the car or decelerating it. Could a steering wheel perform either of these two actions? Explain.

P.s: Of course velocity is a vector quantity and if the direction of car change there is an acceleration. But I think in the question "accelerating" word meanings the speed up and "decelerating" word meanings slowing down (as you know). So my answer is No ( neglecting some advance interactions for the high school curriculum).
Ps: I'm a non-native English speakers Physics teacher.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bahtiyar said:
question: The gas pedal and the brakes of a car are used to change the velocity by accelerating the car or decelerating it. Could a steering wheel perform either of these two actions? Explain.

P.s: Of course velocity is a vector quantity and if the direction of car change there is an acceleration. But I think in the question "accelerating" word meanings the speed up and "decelerating" word meanings slowing down (as you know). So my answer is No ( neglecting some advance interactions for the high school curriculum).
Ps: I'm a non-native English speakers Physics teacher.
thanks
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Schoolwork questions need to be posted in the Homework Help section of the PF -- I have moved your thread for you.

When you start a schoolwork thread, you are provided a Template to fill out. It includes a place for you to provide the Relevant Equations, and show your Attempt at a Solution. What equations of motion do you think will help you to answer this question?

Likes bahtiyar
I think steering may also increase the rolling resistance of the front wheels.

Likes bahtiyar
CWatters said:
yes its true but we neglecting it
the point that I'm curious about the specific meaning of accelerating and decelerating words in this question

bahtiyar said:
I'm curious about the specific meaning of accelerating and decelerating words in this question
Are you using vectors or scalars at this point in the curriculum? If vectors, then I think the answer is Yes, and the explanation is the usual one. The problem is not worded very well, unfortunately. Is it from a textbook? Do you have the Instructor Solution Manual to the textbook with the explanation?

Likes bahtiyar
berkeman said:
Are you using vectors or scalars at this point in the curriculum? If vectors, then I think the answer is Yes, and the explanation is the usual one. The problem is not worded very well, unfortunately. Is it from a textbook? Do you have the Instructor Solution Manual to the textbook with the explanation?
Yes we are using vectors in the cirruculum
The question from the HOLT high school textbook.
There is no solution or explanation for the question in Instructor Solution Manual
But there is non-official non-professional assessment book and it says yes; velocity is a vector quantity and the direction of car change. So there is an acceleration

bahtiyar said:
and it says yes; velocity is a vector quantity and the direction of car change. So there is an acceleration
I would use that answer, and use it as a basis for discussion with your students. It will help them to understand the difference between scalar and vector quantities.

You could also use the example of the vector velocity of a spaceship as it applies thrusters that are aimed orthogonally to its direction of travel... :smile:

Likes bahtiyar
The confusing part of the question is the reference to deceleration. That term should only be used when considering a change in speed. As far as velocity is concerned, all changes are accelerations.

Likes bahtiyar
In general use "accelerate" means go faster. In physics "accelerate" can mean change direction.

You are asking us to decide which context is being used.

I would give the same answer as you..

bahtiyar said:
Of course velocity is a vector quantity and if the direction of car change there is an acceleration.

thanks everybody

Likes berkeman
CWatters said:
Cornering loads increase deformation and rolling resistance on front and rear tires.

How ideal is the car for this question? What about caster effect? Assuming no internal losses such as axle friction or rolling resistance, the caster in the front tires would cause a motionless car to accelerate laterally when steered. Since after steering, the front tires point somewhat in the lateral direction, the car could be made to move. Then the car could be steered the other direction, repeating the process, allowing the car to accelerate. The effect would be similar to an advanced ice skater being able to take off and accelerate while only using one skate. Clearly this wouldn't work for a real car, but I'm wondering if this was an ice boat with no sail deployed, and the steering skate had caster offset.

1. Can a steering wheel cause acceleration or deceleration of a car?

Yes, the steering wheel is directly connected to the car's wheels through the steering column and can control the direction and speed of the vehicle.

2. How does the steering wheel affect acceleration and deceleration?

The steering wheel can control the acceleration and deceleration of a car through the driver's input. By turning the wheel, the driver can change the direction of the car and also adjust the speed by applying pressure on the gas or brake pedals.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect acceleration and deceleration besides the steering wheel?

Yes, there are many other factors that can affect a car's acceleration and deceleration, such as engine power, weight of the car, road conditions, and air resistance. These factors work together to determine the overall speed of the vehicle.

4. Is it possible for the steering wheel to cause unintended acceleration or deceleration?

In most modern cars, the steering wheel is designed to only control the direction and speed of the car based on the driver's input. However, in rare cases, a malfunction in the car's electronic systems or mechanical components can cause unintended acceleration or deceleration. It is important for drivers to regularly maintain their vehicles to prevent these types of issues.

5. Can a steering wheel contribute to a car's braking system?

While the steering wheel itself does not directly contribute to the car's braking system, it can indirectly affect it. By turning the wheel, the driver can control the direction of the car and avoid potential obstacles, which can help prevent the need for sudden braking. Additionally, some newer cars have a feature called "electronic brake force distribution" which uses data from the steering wheel to distribute braking power to each wheel, improving overall braking performance.