Minimum Deceleration for Car to Avoid Truck: Physics Homework

In summary: Remember that when you're dealing with speed :$$v = \frac{Δd}{Δt}$$So that :$$Δt = \frac{Δd}{v}$$In summary, to avoid a collision between a car and truck, the car must decelerate at a minimum rate of 50km/h per second.
TeeNaa

Homework Statement

A car traveling 100 km/h is 200m away from a truck traveling 50 km/h (in the same direction)
. Assuming constant braking acceleration, what is the minimum deceleration the car must have if it is not to hit the truck?

Homework Equations

I know acceleration is a = (Vf - vi)/t but I do not know how to get the acceleration/deceleration when there two object instead of just let a car moving.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the Vi of the Car is = 27.8 m/s
The Vf of the Car is 13.9 m/s (The acceleration of the truck is this so won't it be the final velocity of the car when it crash?)
Distance of car travel = 200+x
Distance of truck travel = x;

Can someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TeeNaa said:

Homework Statement

A car traveling 100 km/h is 200m away from a truck traveling 50 km/h (in the same direction)
. Assuming constant braking acceleration, what is the minimum deceleration the car must have if it is not to hit the truck?

Homework Equations

I know acceleration is a = (Vf - vi)/t but I do not know how to get the acceleration/deceleration when there two object instead of just let a car moving.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the Vi of the Car is = 27.8 m/s
The Vf of the Car is 13.9 m/s (The acceleration of the truck is this so won't it be the final velocity of the car when it crash?)
Distance of car travel = 200+x
Distance of truck travel = x;

Can someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks

Notice that the distance between the car and truck is decreasing at a rate of 100km/h - 50km/h = 50km/h.

Also note that 200m = 0.2km. These will help you find time.

Using this you can determine the proper acceleration.

I understand when you say the decrease in the distance due to the different in the vehicle speed but I can't think of how to find the time when the truck and car is constantly moving. Thank you

TeeNaa said:
I understand when you say the decrease in the distance due to the different in the vehicle speed but I can't think of how to find the time when the truck and car is constantly moving. Thank you

Remember that when you're dealing with speed :

$$v = \frac{Δd}{Δt}$$

So that :

$$Δt = \frac{Δd}{v}$$

TeeNaa said:
Put one car at an origin. Write its displacement as a function of time. Put the truck 200m along the x-axis and then write its displacement as a function of time. Equate these to find the time to collision as a function of acceleration.

Thank you for the replies guy.
I came up with that since the truck will travel a certain distance before the car hit, the distance for the can can be dCar = 200m + x . Since x is the distance the truck travel, it can be represented as x = ((Vf + Vi)/2) * t - 200.
since x = distance, x can be x = vt (velocity * time). Is this how to approach this problem without using relative velocity? I'm stuck after this part.

What is the minimum deceleration required for a car to avoid a truck collision?

The minimum deceleration required for a car to avoid a truck collision depends on several factors such as the speed of the car and the truck, the distance between them, and the reaction time of the driver. It can be calculated using the equation a = (v^2)/2d, where a is the deceleration, v is the initial velocity, and d is the stopping distance.

How does the mass of the car and truck affect the minimum deceleration required?

The mass of the car and truck does not directly affect the minimum deceleration required. However, the mass does affect the force of impact in a collision. A heavier car or truck will have a greater force of impact and may require a higher deceleration to avoid a collision.

Can the minimum deceleration be achieved by braking alone?

In most cases, braking alone is not enough to achieve the minimum deceleration required to avoid a truck collision. The driver must also take into account the friction between the tires and the road, as well as any external factors such as wet or icy road conditions. In emergency situations, the driver may also need to swerve or take other evasive maneuvers in addition to braking.

What is the role of reaction time in determining the minimum deceleration?

Reaction time, or the time it takes for a driver to perceive and react to a potential collision, is a crucial factor in determining the minimum deceleration required. A shorter reaction time allows the driver to apply the brakes sooner and achieve a higher deceleration, potentially avoiding a collision. However, reaction time is a human factor and can vary greatly depending on the individual's alertness and reflexes.

Are there any safety precautions that can help reduce the minimum deceleration required?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that can help reduce the minimum deceleration required to avoid a truck collision. These include maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, driving at a safe speed, and avoiding distractions while driving. Regular vehicle maintenance and properly functioning brakes can also play a significant role in reducing the minimum deceleration required in emergency situations.