Could an eliptical galaxy exist with an axis of rotation?

In summary, the conversation was about the possibility of an elliptical galaxy rotating on an axis similar to how spiral galaxies do, with a period of 50 million years. It was discussed that while some ellipticals are seen to rotate, the rotation tends to be slower and 50 million years is unlikely. The link provided suggests that some ellipticals do have shorter rotation periods, but it is not clear if this applies to all ellipticals.
ilikescience94
I was wondering if a galaxy could be perfectly orbiting to create a sort of axis of rotation, with a period being like 50 million years, or is it impossible because of some property that elliptical galaxies have? If it is possible, what is the probability that it exists in our observable universe, is it far-fetched to think?

Space news on Phys.org
Are you asking whether an elliptical galaxy could be spinning around an axis similar to how spiral galaxies do? Or are you asking about something orbiting an elliptical galaxy?

I'm talking about the galaxy itself rotating on an axis.

Many ellipticals are seen to rotate. (A quick check with Google would have shown that) 50 million years is very unlikely. Ellipticals tend to be larger and rotate more slowly than spirals, and this is much faster than the Milky Way's rotation.

Vanadium 50 said:
50 million years is very unlikely. Ellipticals tend to be larger and rotate more slowly than spirals, and this is much faster than the Milky Way's rotation.
Wouldn't that be about right for a fast dwarf elliptical?
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0204173
I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but looking at fig.2, at least some of these velocities mean about 100-ish million year periods, I think.

Related to Could an eliptical galaxy exist with an axis of rotation?

1. Can an elliptical galaxy have an axis of rotation?

Yes, it is possible for an elliptical galaxy to have an axis of rotation. In fact, most elliptical galaxies do have some degree of rotation, although it may not be as pronounced as in spiral galaxies.

2. How does the axis of rotation affect the shape of an elliptical galaxy?

The axis of rotation can affect the shape of an elliptical galaxy in several ways. It can cause the galaxy to appear more elongated or flattened, depending on the orientation of the axis. It can also affect the distribution of stars and gas within the galaxy.

3. What causes an elliptical galaxy to have an axis of rotation?

An elliptical galaxy can have an axis of rotation due to the initial angular momentum of the gas and stars that formed the galaxy. This angular momentum is thought to be inherited from the rotation of the protogalactic cloud that collapsed to form the galaxy.

4. Is the rotation of an elliptical galaxy uniform?

No, the rotation of an elliptical galaxy is not always uniform. In some cases, the rotation may be more pronounced in the outer regions of the galaxy, while in others it may be more uniform throughout. This can depend on factors such as the mass distribution and history of the galaxy.

5. How does the axis of rotation affect the dynamics of an elliptical galaxy?

The axis of rotation can play a significant role in the dynamics of an elliptical galaxy. It can affect the stability of the galaxy and influence the formation of structures such as bars and disks. It can also impact the motion of stars and gas within the galaxy, leading to features such as kinematic twists and velocity gradients.