Could dark energy be gravitational potential energy?

In summary, This potential energy would have a gravitational repulsion that might counteract the gravitational attraction due to mass m causing the Universal expansion to accelerate. However, there are some problems with calculating total energy with general relativity, and the PE can't be meaningfully defined in cosmology.
johne1618
I was wondering if dark energy might actually be gravitational potential energy.

If one assumes that space is flat and that the Universe is approximately a sphere with mass M and the Hubble radius R then we find that we have the approximate relation:

[itex] \frac{G M }{R} = c^2 [/itex]

A mass m at the center of the sphere would have approximate gravitational potential energy

[itex] PE = - \frac{G M m}{R} = - m c^2 [/itex]

This potential energy would have a gravitational repulsion that might counteract the gravitational attraction due to mass m causing the Universal expansion to accelerate.

I would be interested to hear what you think of this line of thought.

Space news on Phys.org
No. As explained in our FAQ, general relativity doesn't have a conserved scalar mass-energy that can be defined in all spacetimes: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506985 Therefore the PE you're discussing can't be meaningfully defined in cosmology.

Also, the negative sign of the PE in Newtonian gravity represents its attractive nature. (If you flip the sign, you get a universe in which gravity is repulsive, like the electrical repulsion between like charges.) So you can't use it to explain a repulsion.

The nonrelativistic limit of GR with [itex]\Lambda=0[/itex] is Newtonian gravity, so you can't use Newtonian gravity to derive [itex]\Lambda\ne0[/itex].

johne1618 said:
A mass m at the center of the sphere
There's no center. We also have a FAQ about this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506991

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not entirely far fetched. The standard model of cosmology describes the matter of the universe as a homogeneous and isotropic ideal fluid of dust particles. Now, we know that on the scales of galaxies and galaxy clusters, the universe is far from homogeneous today.

As one coarse grains the description of "dust" to larger and larger scales, effects of the gravity become more and more unclear. For the FRW metric to apply at all scales, one needs to be able to carry out this coarse graining up to scales of galaxy clusters and beyond, at which point the "particles" of ideal fluid can be themselves expanding or contracting.

johne1618 said:
I was wondering if dark energy might actually be gravitational potential energy.

Nope.

A mass m at the center of the sphere would have approximate gravitational potential energy

[itex] PE = - \frac{G M m}{R} = - m c^2 [/itex]

This potential energy would have a gravitational repulsion that might counteract the gravitational attraction due to mass m causing the Universal expansion to accelerate.

Aside from the problems with calculating total energy with GR, you run into the problem that you flipped a sign. Things with negative potential energy are *attractive*. As you move two objects closer together, the potential energy goes lower, which means that the negative sign in the potential energy causes objects to *attract*.

bcrowell said:
Also, the negative sign of the PE in Newtonian gravity represents its attractive nature. (If you flip the sign, you get a universe in which gravity is repulsive, like the electrical repulsion between like charges.) So you can't use it to explain a repulsion.

I am assuming that the negative PE is itself a source of gravitational repulsion on normal matter. It is as though it is a gravitational source with negative mass.

bcrowell said:
No. As explained in our FAQ, general relativity doesn't have a conserved scalar mass-energy that can be defined in all spacetimes

I admit my argument is only Newtonian with the addition of the equivalence of mass and energy.

There's no center. We also have a FAQ about this

I'm not assuming a particular center of the Universe. I'm just considering the gravitational potential at any particle due to the rest of the Universe around it.

Related to Could dark energy be gravitational potential energy?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy related to gravitational potential energy?

Dark energy is thought to be a manifestation of gravitational potential energy. It is believed that dark energy is the energy associated with the vacuum of space, which has a negative pressure that causes the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

3. How does dark energy affect the expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is thought to be the driving force behind the accelerating expansion of the universe. It counteracts the pull of gravity, causing the expansion to accelerate instead of slowing down.

4. What evidence supports the idea of dark energy as gravitational potential energy?

The most significant evidence for dark energy as gravitational potential energy comes from observations of the large-scale structure of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies. These observations support the theory that dark energy is the cause of the universe's accelerating expansion.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain dark energy?

While the theory of dark energy as gravitational potential energy is currently the most widely accepted, there are alternative theories that have been proposed. These include modified theories of gravity and the idea that dark energy is not a form of energy at all, but rather a result of the limitations of our current understanding of gravity.