Could Dust Be Responsible for the Pioneer Anomaly?

In summary, there is a theory that the Pioneer Anomaly could be caused by an additional mass of dust adhering to the spacecraft. However, this idea has not been thoroughly explored and there is little information on how much dust would be needed for this effect to be observed. Additionally, there may be challenges with the dust adhering to the spacecraft due to high velocities and different directions of movement. Further research and analysis is needed to fully evaluate this hypothesis.
SJGooch
I have looked through the on-line documentation of the Pioneer Anomaly, and have a simple question:

Could the apparent additional acceleration toward the Sun be due to an additional mass of dust which adhered to the spacecraft ?

I notice that the authors of the main papers ( http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0512/0512121v2.pdf ) claim to have considered the possibility of dust as a cause. But the only references I can find regarding dust are related to gravitational effects in which the spacecraft s are gravitationally attracted to large dust clouds. Not effects in which additional mass is added to the spacecraft by adhering dust particles.

In a similar vein, could some part of the outer skin of the spacecraft react with the solar wind, trapping hydrogen (for example) as part of a chemical compound?

There appears to be no treatment of how little the actual mass of a spacecraft would have to deviate from its accepted mass for the "anomalous" additional attraction to the sun to be observed. The observed effect is exceedingly small, so I suspect very little dust would be required.

Additional force of attraction to the sun due to additional mass of the spacecraft could be ruled out by measuring the ratio of inertial mass of the spacecraft to its gravitational mass. I.e. late in the mission, does the modification of the spacecraft 's velocity as it passes near a massive object verify the supposed mass of the spacecraft ?

Is there some obvious reason, that I have missed, that this slight additional deceleration due to solar gravity cannot be due to a slight increase in the mass of the spacecraft ?

Thank you for your attention.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It seems like a pretty decent hypothesis about the anomaly. Working out how much dust would be needed is beyond me, I would be interested to see if someone else here could work it out, which I expect they could.

My only concern would be that it might be difficult for the dust to adhere to the probe, perhaps due to materials used and high velocities of both probe and dust, seeing as I very much doubt they would be moving in the same direction with similar speeds which would make it easy for dust to adhere.

1. What is the Pioneer Anomaly?

The Pioneer Anomaly is an unexplained phenomenon observed in the trajectories of the Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecrafts as they traveled through the outer solar system. These spacecrafts experienced a small but consistent acceleration towards the Sun, which could not be accounted for by known forces.

2. What is the current explanation for the Pioneer Anomaly?

The most widely accepted explanation for the Pioneer Anomaly is thermal recoil force, which is caused by the uneven heat radiation from the spacecrafts' power generators. This force is very small but could accumulate over long distances to cause the observed acceleration.

3. How does dust play a role in the Pioneer Anomaly?

Some scientists have proposed that dust particles, present in the outer solar system, could also contribute to the Pioneer Anomaly. These particles could collide with the spacecrafts, causing a small but consistent acceleration. However, this explanation is still highly debated and requires further investigation.

4. Has the Pioneer Anomaly been observed in other spacecrafts?

No, the Pioneer Anomaly has only been observed in the Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecrafts. Other spacecrafts traveling through the same region of space have not shown the same acceleration, which adds to the mystery of this phenomenon.

5. How is the Pioneer Anomaly being studied and investigated?

Scientists are using various methods to study and investigate the Pioneer Anomaly, including analyzing data from the spacecrafts, conducting simulations, and proposing new theories. The ongoing research aims to understand the cause of the Pioneer Anomaly and potentially develop new methods of spacecraft navigation in the outer solar system.