Could Elon Musk's Starlink orbitals piggyback telescopes?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of using Elon Musk's Starlink orbital internet communication system for observing the cosmos by mounting compact low-energy telescopes on the back of the orbitals and synchronizing them to focus on individual objects. However, it was concluded that this may not be practical and it would be easier to launch more ground-based telescopes. Additionally, there were discussions about the potential use of the satellite constellation for academic research, such as studying real-time location data for gravitational wave events. It was also mentioned that SpaceX's main goal with Starlink is to provide internet access to the military in space and they may not respond to serious academic inquiries.
Gfellow
TL;DR Summary
The Starlink orbital internet communication system is presently seen as a detriment of observing the cosmos for ground observers, but what if...
starlink.jpg

Elon Musk's Starlink orbital internet communication system is presently seen as a detriment for observing the cosmos by ground observers, but have astronomers thought asking Elon Musk if he would consider mounting compact low-energy telescopes on the back of his orbitals, facing away from Earth?
Then create an algorithm so that they could all be synchronized to focus on individual objects in the cosmos?
He might think that was pretty cool.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• internet-starlink-satelital-elon-musk-precio.webp
    169.2 KB · Views: 126
Astronomy news on Phys.org
James Webb: 6.5M diameter, 42.25(pi/4) square meters.

Starlink constellation:
Requested constellation size: 42,000
To get the same light gathering capacity, each satellite would need about a 10(pi/4) square centimeters - about 3cm diameter.
Plus they would each need a pointing system.
It would certainly increase the mass of the satellite - currently 260Kg.

A then a system would be required to combine the images.

As complicated as JWST is, it would be much simpler to launch a few more of them.

.Scott said:
James Webb: 6.5M diameter, 42.25(pi/4) square meters.

Starlink constellation:
Requested constellation size: 42,000
To get the same light gathering capacity, each satellite would need about a 10(pi/4) square centimeters - about 3cm diameter.
Plus they would each need a pointing system.
It would certainly increase the mass of the satellite - currently 260Kg.

A then a system would be required to combine the images.

As complicated as JWST is, it would be much simpler to launch a few more of them.
So...a concept for the trash can?

Gfellow said:
So...a concept for the trash can?
It's a while since I studied long baseline interferometry, but as I recall you need to control the relative positions of your telescopes precise to better than one wavelength. With satellites that might be doable in microwave or lower frequencies, maybe, but I find it difficult to imagine in optical ranges. And the telescope elements are bigger and heavier in longer wavelengths.

I also suspect it's a non-starter, I'm afraid. Also, given the existence of space based telescopes and the profusion of ground based interferometric telescopes, I tend to suspect someone would have built a space based interferometer by now if it were practical.

Ibix said:
It's a while since I studied long baseline interferometry, but as I recall you need to control the relative positions of your telescopes precise to better than one wavelength. With satellites that might be doable in microwave or lower frequencies, maybe, but I find it difficult to imagine in optical ranges. And the telescope elements are bigger and heavier in longer wavelengths.

I also suspect it's a non-starter, I'm afraid. Also, given the existence of space based telescopes and the profusion of ground based interferometric telescopes, I tend to suspect someone would have built a space based interferometer by now if it were practical.
These piggy-backing telescopes would of course have to be relatively inexpensive, disposable and replaceable as the Starlink orbitals (I am told,) only have a three year operational lifetime before they break up on re-entry.
On an aside, was musing on the aspect individual use, allowing astronomers to tap into individual Starlink orbitals in order to observe into space.
Do you have any thoughts on that?

Gfellow said:
Do you have any thoughts on that?
We recently had a thread where someone was suggesting consumer space based telescopes. I think consensus was that you could get a lot better ground-based telescope for the same cost. Can't find the thread at the moment - maybe someone else's search fu is stronger.

Ibix said:
I tend to suspect someone would have built a space based interferometer by now if it were practical.

It is practical, and there is a space-based interferometer scheduled for launch in 2034 (LISA). There has already been a successful test mission (LISA pathfinder).

I would be inclined to ask whether any use can be made of the satellite constellation as-is, before asking about what could be added to the satellites. For instance, what is the granularity of location data? Would it be possible to grant academic access to study realtime location data? If this is extremely precise, it might be possible to look for anomalous wobbles from gravitational wave events in the whole megaconstellation. This would not require any optical receivers added to the satellites, since it would affect the space they're flying through.

I very much doubt the satellites are capable of providing sufficiently precise location information, though. (LIGO has sensitivity to within the width of a proton, it's arguably the most sensitive instrument ever built.) You also only need three nodes for an interferometer, I doubt adding more would make it any better.

Musk's real game here is providing internet access to the military in space. I don't think anyone at SpaceX would respond to serious academic inquiries.

1. How will the Starlink orbitals affect the view of telescopes?

The Starlink orbitals are designed to provide high-speed internet access to remote areas of the world. While they may initially impact the view of telescopes, SpaceX has been working with astronomers to minimize their impact through various measures such as adjusting the brightness of the satellites.

2. Will the Starlink orbitals interfere with the functionality of telescopes?

There have been concerns about the potential interference of the Starlink orbitals with telescopes, particularly those that operate in radio frequencies. However, SpaceX has been working on solutions to mitigate any interference, such as adding sunshades to the satellites to reduce their brightness.

3. Can telescopes be mounted on the Starlink orbitals?

It is not currently possible to mount telescopes on the Starlink orbitals. These satellites are not designed to support additional equipment and any modifications could potentially compromise their functionality and disrupt their mission of providing internet access.

4. How will the Starlink orbitals impact astronomical research?

The impact of the Starlink orbitals on astronomical research is still being studied. While they may initially affect the view of telescopes, they could also potentially provide new opportunities for research, such as studying the effects of satellite constellations on the night sky.

5. What measures are being taken to address the concerns of the astronomical community?

SpaceX has been actively working with the astronomical community to address their concerns about the Starlink orbitals. This includes conducting brightness tests, developing sunshades to reduce the satellites' reflectivity, and exploring other solutions to minimize their impact on astronomical research.