Could someone explain this simple circuit to me? (beginner)

In summary, the circuit causes the two LEDs to alternate by controlling the collector current of the transistors.
levydee
Hello all,

I am attempting to teach myself some basic electrical knowledge, but I am slow to start. I understand what resistors do and how capacitors store a static electric charge ect...

The question is, can someone explain to me the flow of electricity from beginning to start of this circuit and how it causes the 2 leds to alternate? I assembled the circuit from the diagram on a breadboard, and it does work, I am just not understanding why. What is the purpose of the 10k resistors and the capacitors in this circuit, how do they work together to cause the two leds to alternate?

Thank you!

Attachments

• LED Flasher.jpg
    LED Flasher.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 504
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is an example of a (digital) oscillator. Short explanation:
  • Assume Q1 is in saturation (collector voltage is lower than the base voltage). Then LED1 is "on".
  • While Q1 is "on", the 100μ capacitor charges through the 10k resistor connected to the base of Q2
  • When the voltage at the base of Q2 has become high enough, Q2 starts conducting, pulling the collector down. This change is transmitted to the base of Q1 though the 100μ capacitor, driving the base down, reducing the collector current.
  • When the collector current of Q1 is reduced, the voltage across the collector load is reduced and thus the collector voltage increases.LED1 is starting to turn "off".
  • The increase in Q1 collector voltage is transmitted to the base of Q2, increasing the collector current of Q2 which again drives the collector voltage of Q2 lower.
  • This continues until Q2 goes into saturation (the collector current no longer depends on the base voltage). LED2 is "on".
  • Now the cycle starts again with Q2 and Q1 exchanged.

levydee said:
I am attempting to teach myself some basic electrical knowledge, but I am slow to start.
Hi levydee.
hygetx.gif

You will find no end of web sites where basic electronics is well explained, together with superb circuit waveforms. A google search on "transistor astable multivibrator" will turn up a plethora of helpful sites.

If you have the circuit operating, try changing some R or C and see what happens. You could easily place a capacitor or resistor in parallel with one you have, to double or halve its current value.

Good luck with your self-study!

Likes dlgoff

1. What is a simple circuit?

A simple circuit is a basic electrical circuit that consists of a power source, a load, and a conductive path. The power source, typically a battery, provides the energy for the circuit to function. The load is the device that uses the energy, such as a light bulb or a motor. The conductive path is made up of wires or conductive materials that allow the flow of electricity.

2. How does a simple circuit work?

A simple circuit works by creating a complete loop for the flow of electricity. The power source, which can be a battery or a power supply, provides a voltage difference between its positive and negative terminals. This causes the electrons to flow from the negative terminal, through the conductive path, to the load, and back to the positive terminal of the power source. The flow of electricity is what powers the load and allows it to function.

3. What are the components of a simple circuit?

The components of a simple circuit include a power source, a load, and a conductive path. The power source can be a battery, a power supply, or a solar panel. The load can be a light bulb, a motor, or any other device that uses electricity. The conductive path is made up of wires or conductive materials that connect the power source to the load.

4. How do I build a simple circuit?

To build a simple circuit, you will need a power source, a load, and a conductive path. First, connect one end of the conductive path to the positive terminal of the power source. Then, connect the other end of the conductive path to one end of the load. Finally, connect the remaining end of the load to the negative terminal of the power source. Make sure all connections are secure and there are no breaks in the conductive path.

5. What are some applications of simple circuits?

Simple circuits are used in many everyday devices, such as flashlights, remote controls, and doorbells. They are also used in more complex electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. Simple circuits can also be used in scientific experiments and educational projects to demonstrate basic concepts of electricity and circuits.