Could someone help with this steady state capacitors questio

In summary, the question is about understanding the potential difference between a capacitor and a resistor in a steady state circuit. The equation Q = VC is used to find the potential difference and it is important to remember that there is no current flowing through the resistor.
Jonah765

Homework Statement

Question: https://imgur.com/a/EmGDW87

Homework Equations

Q =VC
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the capacitor C_2 is in parallel with R, which would dictate that they have the same p.d, but then again the circuit is in stead state and so no current flows, which wouldd mean that the p.d across the resistor is zero. I am not sure where to begin with this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonah765 said:

Homework Statement

Question: https://imgur.com/a/EmGDW87

Homework Equations

Q =VC
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the capacitor C_2 is in parallel with R, which would dictate that they have the same p.d, but then again the circuit is in stead state and so no current flows, which wouldd mean that the p.d across the resistor is zero. I am not sure where to begin with this one
You are conveniently told that one side of C1 is at potential 12 V. What do you think the potential of the other side is? Remember there is no current through the resistor.

Jonah765 said:
"the circuit is in stead state and so no current flows, which wouldd mean that the p.d across the resistor is zero."

Yes.

1. What is a steady state capacitor?

A steady state capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical charge in a circuit. It consists of two metal plates separated by an insulating material, and is used to regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How does a steady state capacitor differ from other types of capacitors?

A steady state capacitor is designed to maintain a constant voltage over a period of time, while other types of capacitors may have varying voltage levels or discharge quickly. This makes steady state capacitors useful for power supply and filtering applications.

3. What factors affect the performance of a steady state capacitor?

The performance of a steady state capacitor can be affected by factors such as the capacitance value, the dielectric material used, the voltage rating, and the frequency of the circuit.

4. How can I calculate the capacitance of a steady state capacitor?

The capacitance of a steady state capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one of the plates by the voltage difference between the plates. This can be represented by the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

5. Can someone help with troubleshooting a steady state capacitor?

Yes, there are many resources available for troubleshooting steady state capacitors, including online forums, manufacturer's websites, and professional technicians. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when troubleshooting any electronic component.