Could This Chemical Reaction Have Been Dangerous to Breathe In?

In summary, the conversation discusses a dangerous chemical mixture that was created and the potential harm it can cause. It is advised to not mix chemicals without proper knowledge and to read the forum's guidelines on dangerous chemical activities.
StanG_80
Hello,

I mixed these today:

H3PO4
NaOH
Tetrahydrofuran CH₂)₄O
Cyklohexanon C6H10O
2-Butanon C4H8O

It started to generate smoke. Just wondering if this gas might have been dangerous to breath in? theories? experiences?

Thanks
Stan

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes it is dangerous.
The heat generated by mixing H3PO4 and NaOH will evaporate the hydrocarbons, which I expect will quickly cover the surface of your lungs and drown you.

Don't mix things unless you know what you are doing.
We do not welcome members who do silly things.

Read the "Illegal/Dangerous chemical activities" topic at the top of the page.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/illegal-dangerous-chemical-activities.178906/

Likes Bystander, berkeman and Vanadium 50
Topic locked, not much that can be added.

Likes Bystander

1. What are the signs of a dangerous chemical reaction?

Signs of a dangerous chemical reaction may include sudden changes in temperature, color, or odor, the release of gas or smoke, or the formation of a precipitate.

2. How can I protect myself from a dangerous chemical reaction?

To protect yourself from a dangerous chemical reaction, always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. Follow proper safety procedures and work in a well-ventilated area.

3. What should I do if a chemical reaction becomes dangerous?

If a chemical reaction becomes dangerous, immediately evacuate the area and call for help. If possible, shut off any sources of heat or electricity and contain the spill to prevent it from spreading.

4. How can I prevent dangerous chemical reactions?

To prevent dangerous chemical reactions, always handle chemicals carefully and follow proper storage and handling procedures. Avoid mixing incompatible chemicals and never exceed recommended concentrations or temperatures.

5. What should I do if I accidentally mix two chemicals and see a dangerous reaction?

If you accidentally mix two chemicals and see a dangerous reaction, immediately evacuate the area and seek help. Do not attempt to clean up the spill yourself, as it may be hazardous. Follow proper procedures for chemical spills and seek medical attention if necessary.