Could we launch spaceships from a long horizontal ramp?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a ground to space lift system using a long electromagnetic launcher built underground. The idea is to launch ships straight and level without considering the curvature of the Earth, and then pointing them upwards at a certain distance to achieve orbit. However, there are concerns about the feasibility and efficiency of this system compared to other launch systems. One alternative mentioned is an orbit elevator or a horizontal acceleration with a ramp.
Martin Peasha
So for a while now I have had an idea for ground to space lift systems. My idea is to build a long electromagnetic launcher for ships underground. No I'm not talking about a tunnel straight towards the center of the Earth or "Down" but level, without taking into consideration the curvature of the earth. So its laser straight from your starting point. So after a certain distance(Depending on how deep you started it) your pointed up or up enough to achieve orbit. So imangine a circle and draw a small line towards the center. Then draw a line 90 from that line either direction and draw it to the outer edge of the circle. Where it meets the circle, it is pointed "up". So thoughts for the uneducated (that's me) please. I know I have not done the idea justice but there you go.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Martin Peasha said:
So for a while now I have had an idea for ground to space lift systems. My idea is to build a long electromagnetic launcher for ships underground. No I'm not talking about a tunnel straight towards the center of the Earth or "Down" but level, without taking into consideration the curvature of the earth. So its laser straight from your starting point. So after a certain distance(Depending on how deep you started it) your pointed up or up enough to achieve orbit. So imangine a circle and draw a small line towards the center. Then draw a line 90 from that line either direction and draw it to the outer edge of the circle. Where it meets the circle, it is pointed "up". So thoughts for the uneducated (that's me) please. I know I have not done the idea justice but there you go.
  • I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about, since various conflicting terms occured: tunnel, lift, bend. So let me just add a few facts. The deepest hole we ever dug is a bit more the 12 km deep, so there is a significant boundary for the depth. To come out again orthogonal to the surface, the tunnel will be really steep V-shaped, 90° won't work. But anyway, which purpose should your tunnel serve? And the deeper you are, the more energy is needed to reach orbit.
  • There are already considerations to build a lift system along a type of chord with probably an electromagnetic propulsion, a sort of orbit elevator as in Star Trek Voyager.
  • There are also ideas about a horizontal acceleration with a ramp at its end.
So all in all, I cannot see any advantages in your system compared to other launch systems.

Likes davenn
Check out the Star Tram :http://www.startram.com
Is this the kind of thing you mean?

1. How long would the ramp need to be to launch a spaceship?

The length of the ramp would depend on several factors such as the weight and size of the spaceship, the speed and distance it needs to travel, and the force and angle of the ramp. Calculations and simulations would need to be done to determine the exact length needed for a successful launch.

2. What materials would be suitable for building a long horizontal ramp?

The materials used for building a long horizontal ramp would need to be strong, durable, and able to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures. Some possible materials could include reinforced concrete, steel, and composite materials such as carbon fiber. The choice of material would also depend on the budget and resources available for the project.

3. How would the spaceship be propelled along the ramp?

The spaceship could be propelled along the ramp using various methods such as rockets, electromagnetic force, or a combination of both. The choice of propulsion would depend on the specific design and capabilities of the spaceship, as well as the resources and technology available.

4. What are the potential risks and challenges of launching a spaceship from a long horizontal ramp?

There are several potential risks and challenges that need to be considered when launching a spaceship from a long horizontal ramp. These could include engineering difficulties in building and maintaining the ramp, safety concerns for the crew and equipment, and potential technical failures or malfunctions during the launch process. Extensive testing and risk assessments would need to be conducted to address these challenges.

5. How would launching a spaceship from a long horizontal ramp differ from traditional vertical launches?

Launching a spaceship from a long horizontal ramp would differ from traditional vertical launches in several ways. The most significant difference would be the direction of thrust and the angle of launch. Horizontal launches would also require a longer runway and more precise calculations and control to ensure a successful launch. Additionally, the design and construction of the spaceship would need to be adapted to withstand the forces and stresses of a horizontal launch.